Looking for late October quick trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shocked

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are going to the maldives the end of November and we usually like to get a quick dive trip in before big trips so we are all fresh. Last year we went to cozumel, which we have been to many times, and it was fine, but it would be nice to see somewhere new.

We are traveling from the USA west coast. There will be 3 of us (all experienced divers). We plan on diving 4 days, then leaving. And again, end of October, first few days of November are our dates.

I found little corn island by googling.. and it seems ok.. but people say it is basically for backpackers and the diving is "so-so". Although we are not dive snobs.. my wife certainly would prefer a hotel that is more resort style, warm water, etc. If I am going to stay in a "rustic" place, I want the diving to be really good. The Cozumel Palace worked well for us in that the dive boats picked us up right there, it was all-inclusive so for a quick dive trip, it just made sense to be able to grab food anytime quickly and get back to diving or relaxing.

Anyway, any suggestions for something new? We have already been to Roatan (2 yrs ago).

Budget wise, I am pretty open, but the 3rd person in our trip would like to keep the costs (for one person) below $3000 including everything (travel, room, food, diving).

Sorry if that is a lot of information.. hopefully some of you have some thoughts...

Thank you

I know you have done Cozumel, but Cozumel for Dia De Los Muertos is something completely different. The diving is going to be great. There are so many sites and it changes daily if not hourly. We have done the same site two days in a row and it was like two completely different dives....but wait, there's more!

We were there Oct. 28 to Nov. 2 last year and it was amazing. Dia De Los Muertos on Cozumel was a 3 day festival. There was nightly music and dancing in the square and experiencing that side of the culture was lots of fun. I grew up an hour from the border and we just had a typical Halloween. My wife and I decided that even if we have to hitchhike or swim to Coz for Halloween, we won't miss it.

Not what you asked, but depending on airfare, $3k for a week in Coz is easily doable. We stay at Casa Mexican in town for around $70 a night including the best breakfast buffet on the island and dive with Aldora for about $100 per person per day for Steel 120 tanks, 80 and 90 minute dives. (We take our own gear) Their shop and pier is about a half a block from the hotel. There are numerous operators that use Al 80 tanks for around $80 a day for a 2 tank trip. Blue XTSea is a huge supporter of this site but I have not dove with them yet. Blue Magic has great service, like diving with family, and has sleep,and dive packages that will,save you some money as well. Lots of people like Tres Pelicanos but I can't comment on them one way or the other, Dive With Martin is great too, and rental gear is included in their price.

I just re-read your post, we do $3k for a week in Coz for both of us!

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

I'd stay way clear of the Corn Islands based on your desires and post. If you really want to do something other than Cozumel or Roatan, then based on amount of time there and flights from West Coast, I'd look into Grand Cayman. Totally doable under $3k for the number of days mentioned. You can get discounted rates that time of year. - Check out Sunset House for ease of stay, food, boat and shore dives. probably your best option for that time of year and maximizing # of dives in time allotted: Sunset House, Grand Cayman's Hotel & Dive Center for Divers, by Divers

If you can get good flights, you might also consider Bonaire. Captain Don's habitat, Buddy Dive or my favorite: Den Laman are all good choices.

Thank you to both of you for your suggestions.

Trailboss123, I cannot find ANY flights from the USA to Bonaire (airport code BON) for Oct 27th, 28th, etc.. am I searching wrong? I tried Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston.. ?

Thanks

Correct- you beat me to it. We were just down there. Flew United from Portland at 6am on a Saturday through Houston and then came back the following Sunday via Houston also. Grand Cayman may offer better flight options? I am headed there myself for a week (August 27-September 3rd)- flights from west coast to Caribbean can be so challenging.

We have already been to Roatan (2 yrs ago).

For such a small island, Roatan has huge diversity UW that varies greatly depending on where you were staying and diving. "One trip" to Roatan is a start. Where were you located for that trip?

So, I figured it out.. Flights from the USA to Bonaire are only on Saturday & Sunday.

I second Bonaire if you have never been diving there. Unlimited shore diving & boat diving if you want to pay extra. Incredible reef but very tiring shore diving if you're "older" like me! We stay at the condos, Welcome to Belmar Bonaire - Belmar Bonaire. It's somewhat cheaper than Buddy Dive Resort but still associated with Buddy Dive. Much quieter too.

Bonaire is great but it is a long way to go for a short trip, I think you should plan on going to Bonaire when you can spend at least a week there. If it is your first time you may need a little time to get acclimated to Bonaire, IMO. The whole routine of loading up the truck with tanks, heading down the road to check out the dive spots, hauling your gear from the truck to the shore, and then picking the best entry and exit strategies for the chosen spot. Bonaire is a great experience and you should go there, but I think it deserves more than than a short trip.

But Bonaire is below the hurricane belt so it may be the safer choice. It is often rainy in Bonaire at that time of year but usually not enough to stop the diving but the vis may not be the best. That's true all over the Caribbean at that time of year, but the water will be in the 80s all over the Caribbean too.

The Cayman islands are usually easy to get to from just about every where in the US. For a short, easy trip with valet diving and controlled costs you might look at one of the small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resorts:
  • Little Cayman Beach Resort (best Cayman diving, may be hard to book and a bit more expensive; deserves at least a one-week stay)
  • Cayman Brac Beach Resort (really good diving and newly remodeled, least expensive of the Cayman all-inclusives)
  • Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman Resort (good diving, access to the amenities of GC, but you may need to rent a car to see much)
My suggestion is the Cayman Brac Beach Resort see below. The price for a 7-night trip includes accommodations, food, airport transfers, taxes, and hotel service charges (but not the dive shop tips) and I am sure they would pro-rate it for a shorter trip. The food is served buffet style but is very good!

Have fun where ever you decide to go!

Cayman Islands All Inclusive | Cayman Islands Vacations

THE CLEARLY CAYMAN PACKAGE

Valid for travel Jan. 1 – Dec. 16 2016
7 Nights Accommodations
FAP Meal Plan
Three Drinks Nightly
17 Boat Dives
Airport Ground Transfers
Free Welcome Rum Punch
Manager’s Cocktail Reception
USD $1725*

Full American Plan (FAP) includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. *All rates are per person and based on double occupancy. Please call for single and triple occupancy rates. Rates are capacity controlled and valid on selected travel dates only.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom