Looking for kayak diving instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you mean it stinks about the rain, NOT about my not being married! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

A couple of us Kayuba folks will be meeting 7:30 a.m. tomorrow just north of the traffic light on A-1-A that is north of Sunrise Boulevard. We will paddle out to the reef balls. Parking is free, but you must get there EARLY. All kayak divers welcome. Anyone who would like to show up without a kayak and just beach dive is welcome to come early and see how we set up and launch; your dive will only be about halfway out as far as ours.

I know you mean it stinks about the rain, NOT about my not being married! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:quote]

Yes i meant it about the rain!

I knew that but I was having fun teasing you!! :D

Marriage: been there, done that. Found a great way to lose 275 pounds overnight. :rofl3:

A few Kayuba-ites went out today...it was right on the edge of too rough. But we had a great dive and I caught a nice sized bug.

Paddle out and fall off.

That's really about the best way to learn, as funny as it may sound. Certain things will be intuitive, like don't let the kayak turn sideways and get between you and a wave, but for the most part it's just jump on one and figure it out. Observing others and getting some tips off various websites was all the instruction I had before I took the plunge(several plunges, actually). You will fall off, probably quite a few times. Just get familiar and comfortable with it before you load it up for the first dive. Also pick a calm day with little or no wind for your first outing before working up to choppy seas and windy conditions. Do some research as to how much carrying capacity you want and storage space, etc. then go and rent one or two you've narrowed it down to and see which one works best for you.

Several of us own different yaks, so we can give you specific pros and cons of various brands and models. I started out with an Ocean ScramblerXT, but wanted more capacity for two tank dives, so I moved up to an Ocean Prowler 13. One great thing about rotomolded SOT yaks is that they are practically indestructable and hold their value very well in case you decide you don't like the first one you bought. I sold my Scrambler for the same price I paid for it and I kept all the accessories (seat, paddle, leash and anchor) that came with it so I didn't have to reinvest in them.

Having a yak opens up access to a lot of sites that always seemed just out of reach by swimming. Heading a mile or so offshore is a breeze now and having your own little "floating island" where you can pop up, rest for awhile, have lunch and then make another dive is a lot more reassuring than having nothing more than your inflated BC to rely on to get you home.

That's really about the best way to learn, as funny as it may sound.

That can be a very expensive way to learn, though! I find that the biggest part of learning in kayak diving is where to put your gear and how to secure it.

I was diving with another guy with a Prowler 13 today (that's what I have) and he said he went through three other kayaks before getting to the Prowler. He loves the Prowler and wishes he'd just started with it. We were in some pretty heavy wave action today but I felt that mine was a very sturdy platform getting off then getting back on later.

That can be a very expensive way to learn, though! I find that the biggest part of learning in kayak diving is where to put your gear and how to secure it.

I meant that I think the best way to learn kayaking is to just get in one and start paddling as opposed to taking an actual course from a dealer or someone. Do you mean that it would be expensive renting a few to try out or that buying the wrong one to start out would get expensive? I bought my Prowler brand new for just over half what a local dealer was charging, with the only advantage of going through the dealer being that they gave "free" lessons in how to kayak.

I thought he wanted kayak diving lessons. I meant that not tying in his gear properly could be a VERY expensive lesson in the event of a dump.

If he wants to learn to kayak, all the kayak stores have lessons and most of them rent as well. And state parks have kayak rentals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom