Looking for kayak diving instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedude1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Clermont, Florida (Just left of center on the penn
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in kayak diving but know next to nothing about it. I'm looking for some instruction and assistance while I figure out how to work the thing. I don't own one yet, it's an investment which I want to make after I know enough to decide what I like.
Any help?

Do you have any local kayak divers? Meet up with them and ask a bazillion questions. I joined Kayuba and learned first by just going to a dive sans kayak, and having them tell me all about their gear and how it was secured. There are a lot of instructions on kayak diving on their website that you'll find quite helpful.

I spent a few months doing lots of research, if you look you will find two threads here from earlier in the year where we discussed it a LOT, and I purchased my kayak before I ever made a kayak dive. I love my Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler Edition, other people love other boats.

Oh, one other thing, have you actually just gone kayaking and enjoyed it? I had been kayaking several times a few years before I thought about kayak diving. If you haven't gone kayaking yet, go rent one at a local park a few times.

Careful...it's addicting!!!

It is a great sport! Where were you planning on doing your kayak diving? We go out of Fort Lauderdale most Saturdays very early in the morning.

Let me know if you find anything. I also want to start diving from a kayak. I think a great place to start is Pepper Park in Ft. Pierce. The reef and wreck are not to far from shore.

I have a Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro which is similar to this. It has a perfect spot cut out in the rear for a dive tank. If you get a Ocean Kayak I recommend getting it used because these things are pretty much indestructible.

This site seems to have some decent info.

Mrs. Debby How was Sunday?

Brett: I am not married.

It rained Sunday.

I'm a kayak diver in the Port Charlotte area & have been diving Venice quite a bit lately. I have a Cobra Fish/Dive yak. Check out the resources that Debby mentioned. They are a good place to start. If you'd like to come down & dive Venice or Red Rocks at Boca grande, give a shout. I'll dive with ya.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom