looking for intel on Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danknoise

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I have almost decided on a trip to Apo Island in early February and am looking for recommendations on dive centers and accommodations- the best balance between quality and inexpensive I can find. I have about 120 dives, but my friend only has about 10 and will be treating her parents to their first diving experience. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

There is almost nothing there. Better to stay at Atlantis Dumagette and go over to Apo as a day trip.

They would be better off at Puerto Galera.
1. Anilao is too restricted ie. everything from the same resort. The easy diving sites(for the beginners) in Subic Bay are nowhere near as good as those in Puerto Galera. And usually the dive boat in PG only goes out for ONE dive and then return to base.
2. It is time consuming to fly to Dumaguete and then transfer to Apo Island.

We were told it's possible to stay on Apo Island but it was generally a rustic, power for a few hours a day kind of experience. If that's not what you're looking for I'd suggest a resort in the Dumaguete/Dauin area that runs day boats there. Atlantis is certainly one. We stayed at Pura Vida and were quite happy with it. There's a variety of other resorts with good reviews around there and I'm sure others run boats to Apo Island as well.

Our stay at Liberty Lodge on Apo was memorable. It's a small eco style dive shop with rustic but comfortable bungalows. From what I understand, much of the tourist money goes to help out the local village and in turn this supports the strong local conservation ethics :). The power may go out now and then but if you are intrigued by kind gentle natives, an authentic experience, contributing to local families and conservation efforts, and a beautiful island setting, a few candle light evenings are quite enjoyable :). APO Island - Liberty Lodge and Dive Resort

Thanks everyone for your insight! I will think seriously about Puerto Galera. Apo Island sounds really nice to me but not the choice for my criteria.

we went to apo in april out of atlantis dumaguete which was a great resort and dive experience but apo island was a bust in our opinion. little sea life but nice hard corals not worth the cost and trip.

Apo Island is very small, they have generators for a few hours in the evening. I would also recommend the Puerto Galera area, there is a lot to do and you have Verde Island which knocks spots off Apo Island to be fair. Also you won't need an extra flight from Manila, most resorts can arrange private transfers for you. I have lived in PG for 3 years and would be happy to give you some good advice if you need it. have a look at Marco Vincent dive resort Marco Vincent Dive Resort - White Beach, Puerto Galera, Philippines for a good option.

Cheers
Kris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom