looking for intel on Apo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Woulnt recommend to stay on the island, but rather stay in the resort in the dauin area and make day trips to apo island with 2 or 3 dives. It also gives you the chance to do some inland excursions and also see the muck diving in the dauin area. My recommendation Sea Explorers dive center at Pura Vida Beach Resort.

Liberty Lodge is indeed rustic, with power in the morning as well as evening, and dipper baths. The dive centre looked after us very well as learners, and you can walk right into pleasant diving off the beach. If you've written it off as a bit too rustic, you still need to think what you are looking for in your dive holiday. Dauin and Anilao are both places where people pretty much stay at their resort when not diving (though Dumaguete, a pleasant sleepy university town, isn't that far away from Dauin by tricycle motorbike taxi, an experience everyone should try once). In Puerto Galera, most of the dive shops and restaurants are in Sabang or Small La Laguna, which have no beach as such, with a few just around the point at Big La Laguna, which has a small beach. White Beach is a bit farther off from the dive sites and I have not tried the resort recommended by Kris. Personally am a repeat customer of Asia Divers / El Galleon at Small La Laguna, and can vouch for their fine treatment of beginner divers, but there are other nice options both in Small La Laguna and the quieter Big La Laguna. Sabang itself has a bit of a night-time sleaze factor. For variety of easy dive sites, Puerto Galera has a lot to recommend it.

I stayed on Apo Island in May at Marios Homestay.
Yes, it's pretty rustic, the power only runs a few hours each evening. I was lucky and my room had a 24H solar powered fan which was great.

The diving there was excellent! I really enjoyed the short boat trips to the dive sites - for the Chapel dive site, I'm not sure if they even had to turn the engine on!

The food choices are pretty limited on the island.

But I would recommend going there just to support the locals in what they are doing. They are very good with the marine reserve and it needs the support of divers.

Reactions: FT
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom