Looking for Info on the Melia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rje634

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If anyone has stayed at the Melia I'd like to here your opinion on it. How was the hotel, the pool, the beach, how much are taxis to town, is the AI worth it there. Basically I'd like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly on this resort.
We're looking to go around June and would appreciate any information you can offer.

rje634:
If anyone has stayed at the Melia I'd like to here your opinion on it. How was the hotel, the pool, the beach, how much are taxis to town, is the AI worth it there. Basically I'd like to know the good, the bad, and the ugly on this resort.
We're looking to go around June and would appreciate any information you can offer.

One thing to consider is that it's pretty far north and all the dive sites are south. You'll probably have to cab it to meet the dive boat.

On my one trip to Cozumel (before I was a diver), I stayed at the Melia. I thought it was great. Friendly staff, nice beach, excellent bar, wonderful food. But like ggunn mentioned, it is on the north side of the island and most of the dive sites are south. If diving is your priority, I might look elsewhere.

xiSkiGuy:
On my one trip to Cozumel (before I was a diver), I stayed at the Melia. I thought it was great. Friendly staff, nice beach, excellent bar, wonderful food. But like ggunn mentioned, it is on the north side of the island and most of the dive sites are south. If diving is your priority, I might look elsewhere.
Yes I know it's north and the dive boats don't pick up north of town. This would be a time-share trade which is why I'm considering it. I realize that if I stay there a daily taxi ride is in my future. Yes diving is a priority which is why I wanted to know how much the taxi costs are to the downtown piers.

rje634:
Yes I know it's north and the dive boats don't pick up north of town. This would be a time-share trade which is why I'm considering it. I realize that if I stay there a daily taxi ride is in my future. Yes diving is a priority which is why I wanted to know how much the taxi costs are to the downtown piers.

There is one dive shop in Cozumel that picks up regularly in the north hotels by boat, Scuba Du.

From the Melia to downtown will run you $5 for 2 people, $1 extra for each additional. Many dive operators will pick up there. To the caleta, where some dive operators pick up, it will probably be around $10 for 2 people, $1 extra for each additional.

Enjoy!

Sally
Barefoot in Cozumel

You can always rent a car or buy a beater... cab rides add up quickly and there's no bus outside of San Miguel, probably a result of the 'taxi mafia'... we rented from budget for $38 a day and it fit 5 divers with all gear... in a compact!

My wife and I stayed at the Melia is Sept. through a RCI trade and loved the place. The food got a tad old after a while and due to the concrete monster (pier), the water was stained a few days but otherwise, it was a really nice place. I might also mention that by going thru RCI, we were treated very well, checked in in a small room off to the side (no waiting), and was given a room upon arrival (12:00 pm). We are heading back this summer and will probably stay there again.

As mentioned, the staff was great..the grounds were nice..the room was fine...and every now and then, the far end of the beach (north) hosted the topless crowd:D . For clearer water, just walk over to the El Coz beach and swim there.

The taxi cost to calleta was $10 one way and there were always taxi's waiting in the morning. It takes about 15 mins in the morning and about 20-25 mins to get back.

Also, would like to recommend Alison (Scuba (or Dive, never remember) with Alison. Great lady, great DM, ,great all the way around!

We have some pics (never posted them) if you would like to check them out.

Thanks for the great information everyone, keep it coming..

Scott101:
My wife and I stayed at the Melia is Sept. through a RCI trade and loved the place. The food got a tad old after a while and due to the concrete monster (pier), the water was stained a few days but otherwise, it was a really nice place. I might also mention that by going thru RCI, we were treated very well, checked in in a small room off to the side (no waiting), and was given a room upon arrival (12:00 pm). We are heading back this summer and will probably stay there again.

As mentioned, the staff was great..the grounds were nice..the room was fine...and every now and then, the far end of the beach (north) hosted the topless crowd:D . For clearer water, just walk over to the El Coz beach and swim there.

The taxi cost to calleta was $10 one way and there were always taxi's waiting in the morning. It takes about 15 mins in the morning and about 20-25 mins to get back.

Also, would like to recommend Alison (Scuba (or Dive, never remember) with Alison. Great lady, great DM, ,great all the way around!

We have some pics (never posted them) if you would like to check them out.
We would also be trading through RCI. If it wasn't for the trade we would probably stay in one of the hotels in town, Casa Mexicana or maybe Vista Del Mar again.
We are probably going around June. Is the AI Mandatory there? Looking through the RCI site it doesn't look like it is. That is a plus for us seeing we really enjoy dining in town.
We dive with Blue XTSea, I say the same about Christi that you do about Alison.
I'd like to see you pics if you can put them up.

Back
Top Bottom