Looking for info on Kingman Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a pretty cool on-line journal of some UH expedition where they were researching the negative impact of humans on the nearby inhabited Islands, and overall the trip was depressing it what data they recorded, but the last stop was Kingman and it was the definition of pristine and abundant.

I posted a link and quote in some Where Would You Dive' thread a while back ...

:idk:

Maui to Kingman Reef - Google Maps

(9 zoom out clicks for me to see Hawaii)

Edit: My bad - UCSD Expedition ...

http://sio.ucsd.edu/lineislands/journal/0825/

DAILY JOURNAL

EUREKA!

Thursday | August 25, 2005

We found it. A pristine reef where corals are alive and healthy and form a forest so thick that there is no space even for sand between them. A reef where sharks are not used to seeing humans and, instead of swimming away, they come by the dozens and swim around you during the entire dive. A reef where one's heartbeat doubles as soon as we disappear below the surface. This is Kingman Reef, the pearl of the Line Islands.

This morning we left Palmyra Atoll and sailed to Kingman reef. Kingman is an Atoll 16 km long located 34 nautical miles north of Palmyra. It is not a typical Atoll, since it does not have any emerged land except for two small islands made of coral rubble. It is one of the most remote and least visited places on Earth, and presently a U.S. Wildlife Refuge. From space, Kingman looks like a boomerang pointing east. The seas around it are usually rough, and ships tend to avoid it. However, we had excellent weather and anchored in Kingman's lagoon.

With the White Holly safely anchored, we threw our small boats into the water and went diving near La Paloma Pass, the only channel on the southern part of Kingman Reef. Kingman is so remote and unfrequented that this pass is the only physical feature in it that has a name.

As soon as we dived in we could see what we were looking for. We were not sure whether we were dreaming. Fifteen meters below our boat was a dense forest of living staghorn and table corals, filling all of the bottom. The corals looked healthy and we did not see signs of recent bleaching or disease as in the other islands. It was virtually an underwater tropical forest. Red snappers were numerous and large, and so were the grey reef sharks. At the end of the dive, near dusk, Forest Rohwer counted about 40 grey reef sharks coming up from the deep, and caught a glimpse of a tiger shark. A pod of 15 dolphins showed up and the sharks disappeared.

Back on the ship, everybody was happy and smiling. We were aware of how fortunate we are, to be able to look through this window to the past, to dive and study the healthiest reef we have seen so far. In the days to come, weather permitting, we will be counting and measuring fishes, invertebrates and algae, and collecting water for microbial and chemical analysis, as we did in Kiritimati, Tabuaeran and Palmyra. However, we do not need computers or data analysis to realize that we have the gradient of reef health we were looking for. Kingman is the end of the gradient. We cannot wait to see more of it and be thrilled again with the grey reef sharks coming too close or the giant manta ray swimming gracefully above our heads.

—Enric Sala
Scripps Line Islands Expedition 05

Last edited:
I to recently learned of Kingman Reef from watching Planet Green and was led here after searching for dive ops. The last time I checked the ocean belongs to everyone and unless all nations have joined into to a, God forbid,new world govt no one has any jurisdiction over this place. They can put the name of sanctuary, preserve, park or whatever on it and it does not matter. What I am getting at here is that anyone can go there on a private vessel and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it. This place is located some 1000nm south of the Hawaiian Islands and over 3000nm from any continent clearly placing it in international waters. All we have to do is organize a group, hire a vessel and go dive the place. Thoughts?

International waters start 12 miles away from the shores of Kingman Reef which is owned by the United States. At least this is my understanding from the little bit of research i've seen on the subject.

I to recently learned of Kingman Reef from watching Planet Green and was led here after searching for dive ops. The last time I checked the ocean belongs to everyone and unless all nations have joined into to a, God forbid,new world govt no one has any jurisdiction over this place. They can put the name of sanctuary, preserve, park or whatever on it and it does not matter. What I am getting at here is that anyone can go there on a private vessel and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it. This place is located some 1000nm south of the Hawaiian Islands and over 3000nm from any continent clearly placing it in international waters. All we have to do is organize a group, hire a vessel and go dive the place. Thoughts?

It is actually unincorporated US Territory and designated part of the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument. It is managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. More info: Kingman Reef | United States territory, Pacific Ocean

I've recently developed an interest in Kingman Reef, and interestingly enough, when my dad passed away I got a number of large boxes of slides. I have yet to go through them, but he did label the small boxes with locations and dates. I had to look at the one named Kingman Reef. I'm hoping there are more. This one is from 1966, when he was in the Coast Guard- not the most interesting of pictures, but... I wish I would have talked to him more about his time in the service...
kingman sep 66z2020.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom