Looking for hands-on SM advice/instruction Cary/Raleigh area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your darn right, Tbone. Significant differences. I’ve been trimmed out this way in the past (I started SM last fall), then I messed with adjustments for drysuit and got myself all out of whack. Anyway, good stuf. thanks for the tips. I’ll need to carry these through when I switch back to drysuit.

*****about those clip leashes. I concur but…I’ve been leaving them long in anticipation of needing to lengthen them. I have never had a need yet to lengthen them though. Do you think, based on how I’m setup, which is my norm until my hp100s come in, that there would be no need to change the leash lengths?

I just realized I confused cam band with bungee a couple posts up. You mentioned shorten my loops 2-3 more inches. I did not mean to refer to cam band. I was in fact referring to the bungees and my concern with going tighter. But i do plan to try it if you think would help more. TO CLARIFY…when you refer to how the bungee connects to my shoulder straps and the “loops” do you mean the metal connections I’m presently set up with and that I might want to find a way to lengthen that set up so the end of the bungee loop is closer to the valve?

Your darn right, Tbone. Significant differences. I’ve been trimmed out this way in the past (I started SM last fall), then I messed with adjustments for drysuit and got myself all out of whack. Anyway, good stuf. thanks for the tips. I’ll need to carry these through when I switch back to drysuit.

*****about those clip leashes. I concur but…I’ve been leaving them long in anticipation of needing to lengthen them. I have never had a need yet to lengthen them though. Do you think, based on how I’m setup, which is my norm until my hp100s come in, that there would be no need to change the leash lengths?

I just realized I confused cam band with bungee a couple posts up. You mentioned shorten my loops 2-3 more inches. I did not mean to refer to cam band. I was in fact referring to the bungees and my concern with going tighter. But i do plan to try it if you think would help more. TO CLARIFY…when you refer to how the bungee connects to my shoulder straps and the “loops” do you mean the metal connections I’m presently set up with and that I might want to find a way to lengthen that set up so the end of the bungee loop is closer to the valve?

The loop bungees can get a bit shorter if you wanted to but not critical.
The cam bands can move a few inches up towards the valve if you wanted to with the AL80's which will move the valves a bit farther down on your body. Personal preference here. With HP100's they will have to be in about that same position if they clip to the drop d-rings or move a few inches farther down if you clip to the butt rails. Depends on which 100's you have. In either instance the lower attachment leashes will still be 0-length.

If you have a metal attachment for the upper loop bungees, I would change that to paracord or line of some variety to let them farther out from your arm pits. You can see them pulling in the video which is probably hurting your ability to attach them.

Tbone - when you refer to a line attachment to make the connection of bungee to shoulder strap…do you mean something like the video i’m linking to. This guy is actually deleting the “rope” attachment at beginning of video & converting to a tiny piece of bungee as the retainer. Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t this solution keep the bungee tight to the edge of my shoulder strap and not allow the bungee to be shortened? What do you recommend?

@CPRC yes that is the attachment point I was talking about. Depending on where your shoulder straps are you may need/want to loosen or tighten them. I much prefer them to slide than actually be fixed to the shoulder strap, but in either instance yours need to be longer.

The really short ones work when you have a hogarthian style harness like the xDeep uses, but when you have a harness with a chest strap they need to be considerably longer.

Back
Top Bottom