Looking for hands-on SM advice/instruction Cary/Raleigh area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPRC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to find a person WELL versed in SM. One who is technically minded, that is willing to dive with me local quarry and help me dial things in. Willing to pay for the the time. Not looking for a class, already done that. I just want a technically minded ‘buddy’ to scrutinize me in the water or whatever makes sense. I am NOT looking for someone to remind me to switch regs. I am looking for more detailed approach to help correct what I think are ongoing trim issues, fit issues, what seem like issues that shouldn’t exist or can be improved on. If we can figure out how to get a conversation going, somehow get this private (not sure how) we can exchange some references, expectations, etc.

Unfortunately I am not actually aware of anyone in the triangle that fits that bill….most of the cave divers up there are in doubles or rebreather.

I’ll be coming up relatively soon and can give you half a day which should be more than enough to sort out any equipment issues you have.

I sent you what I think was a private message. Not sure if it worked.

I just want a technically minded ‘buddy’ to scrutinize me in the water or whatever makes sense [...] I am looking for more detailed approach to help correct what I think are ongoing trim issues, fit issues, what seem like issues that shouldn’t exist or can be improved on.

I feel your pain.

When I started sidemount diving, there were no sidemount classes in my country, and no instructors, and no buddies. I had but two instructors. One was the GoPro and the other was the cave. The hard way of learning. I made some mistakes, survived those, learned some lessons.

You should at least get a GoPro or other action cam and record your diving. You can learn a great deal from viewing yourself. It does not replace a good buddy but it is a start!

Share the videos with us.

Thanks for that input. Yes, I do use my gopro, and do have some recent vids I can share. I just have to figure out which of these icons above here do that. Wait, I have them on my youtube channel. Wouldn’t that be easier to paste a link direct to it?

Thanks for that input. Yes, I do use my gopro, and do have some recent vids I can share. I just have to figure out which of these icons above here do that. Wait, I have them on my youtube channel. Wouldn’t that be easier to paste a link direct to it?

copy video URL, click the film strip that says "media" and paste the URL, will embed the youtube video.

I got your PM and have been travelling like mad all weekend, will respond later tonight.

Here's just one vid. I've got 3 others from recent. Multiple frustrations here - height and rotation cam bands, length of bungees affecting rotation, leash length, am I using correct D ring, ugh.

alright, here's some things to fix and will see what happens.

On the loop bungee up top. The end of the loop should come to where you want the valve of the bottles to be. That should be right at the edge of your pectoral muscle. Yours are VERY long, like WOAH long, so tighten those up.

Get a tape measure and measure the distance between the bungee attachment point on the harness *on the backplate*, and the top of the waist d-ring you are using to clip them off to. That distance needs to be the distance between the valve outlet/valve knob, and the top of the cam band.

Please post a picture of your rigging to check what the lower attachment point looks like, it should be 0-length on the bolt snap.

Fix those, redo video.

Will do. In the meantime, thought to post a few pics. One of my concerns is the harness. In photo i’m pointing to my navel and also top of my hip. I’ve lowered the waist belt because my cam bands seemed too high. This is yet another variable I’ve been adjusting and it’s got me mixed up.

Attachments

• 2E1DDA74-5A21-4B9F-B80F-C9C1E2C95D9D.jpeg
    2E1DDA74-5A21-4B9F-B80F-C9C1E2C95D9D.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 0BC186A5-B8FA-4186-BE4A-6D4A244A0895.jpeg
    0BC186A5-B8FA-4186-BE4A-6D4A244A0895.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 86
  • A2B020EE-4C6B-4A82-B783-ADEB7E75D005.jpeg
    A2B020EE-4C6B-4A82-B783-ADEB7E75D005.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 5D140274-341A-4F4E-8F45-56A9240C721C.jpeg
    5D140274-341A-4F4E-8F45-56A9240C721C.jpeg