Looking for hands-on SM advice/instruction Cary/Raleigh area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waist belt should be around where you keep the belt on a pair of jeans, so they look correct in the picture.

Your loop bungees are about 6" too long. Based on the strap position, the bungee should be taught against the quick link when you put it on and trying to pull the shoulder straps outwards, not by much, but they should be taught. That will solve so many of your problems.

Flip the cam bands over and have the bolt snaps come out form the top instead of down from the bottom. I've found over the years that it works and feels better, especially when walking at the surface.

Rotation of the cam bands is a little strange, but we'll deal with that after the next video

Will do. I expect get back in water mid week next.
-flip bands, keep leash 0 length and 45 degree from valve stem for now.
-adjust band height- used the measure from bungee connection at bp to valve port
-adjust bungees tighter - reach pectoral and stop there.

Thank you. Will take vid and report back.

Do you guys like the valve stem facing outwards or downwards?

Do you guys like the valve stem facing outwards or downwards?

Most will say valve opening UP as it protects the regs. Mine are down. Instructor had me do it that way as I had muscle memory from doing backmount doubles and so the valves turn the same direction.

If your really interested in the proper way and configuration for sidemount. You need to drive to north Florida cave country and find an instructor here. Sidemount gear was invented here. I remember 25 years ago Bill R’s wife with her industrial sewing machine altering and fabricating Dive Rite Transpacs and Classic wings into prototype sidemount units.

I finally got through some life stuff that kept me out of the water but today got 4 videos done. The first 3 are BEFORE I realized a few errors. I had the tanks clipped to the rear drop D's that came with the Katana, and which have always been kept tight and tucked in against my bc. I've clipped into them occasionally but always ended up frustrated with the trim they give me and never realized (until today) they are way too high because of my tight leashes. I am not sure if I should be using them anyway with these tanks. I think this issue has been one of my biggest mistakes causing me make many unneeded adjustments over the months.

By video 4, I rotated both bands from 45 to 30 degrees AND switched to my sliding D's. I am very open to any more feedback.

For today's dives I made the adjustments Tbone suggested here to me a couple weeks ago:
-adjust waist belt back to "normal pants belt height".
-tightened bungees. They now just reach outer edge of pecs.
-bands: measured for height (armpits to waste D connection point = 14.5").
-bands: changed rotation to 45 degrees

Both cylinders are full and within 50psi at video 1. And by video 4 they are 1/3 empty.
They're neutral at 500psi.
My clips are knotted to have no slack or extra leash.

@CPRC linking to the 4th video since they didn't link in your post

The loop bungees can probably get about 2-3" shorter believe it or not and the cam bands can probably come up an inch or two *if you measured to the drop d-rings vs the waist d-rings that probably explains that one. Yes, use the waist d-rings, the drop d-rings with al80's are good for clipping "stuff" too, not so great for the tanks themselves. Looks WAY better than the first run. How did it feel?

Ok. Skipping my previous post here since you are faster than me...Video 4....yes, felt WAY better. As far as getting 2-3 more inches out of the cam band, my concern there is I'm already struggling to get it around the post. Come drysuit time it'll be even tougher, I think. I'm ok to try that though.

Ok. Skipping my previous post here since you are faster than me...Video 4....yes, felt WAY better. As far as getting 2-3 more inches out of the cam band, my concern there is I'm already struggling to get it around the post. Come drysuit time it'll be even tougher, I think. I'm ok to try that though.

it's not critical that they come up any more and in a drysuit they'll probably be right. Getting them on is not necessarily easy, but that's fine. Part of that may be how they're attached to the shoulder straps, may need to make those loops a skidge longer.

Obviously tie off the lower attachment points to they aren't flapping about. Glad they feel a lot better, not as fast as in person, but not terrible for a couple of posts on a forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom