Looking for folding snorkel????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msinc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think I want to do away with a snorkel permanently clipped to my mask strap. I have read about divers using some sort of "folding" snorkel that they just carry in their pocket until needed. I am going to guess and say that these snorkels have some sort of easily attachable clip so you can grab it when you need it, clip it on the strap and go until you no longer need to use it...pop it off the strap, stuff it back in the pocket and continue.
For some reason that all sounds way too easy.....easy to the point that I have to wonder why more divers don't use this type of snorkel??? Maybe they do and I just don't know it yet???
Any info or suggestions for a snorkel like this would be very greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

Check out the aqualung nautilus snorkel.
It's a nice folding snorkel that rolls up and can be put in a pocket or clipped to your BDC.

Does this actually work well as a snorkel? I tried a very similar one and it was easy to carry but didn't have enough height or rigidity to work in bad conditions (like when I might need it). I ended up folding a snorkel with a flexible end into my bcd. It is great to snorkel with. As far as clipping them on in an emergency just tuck them under your mask strap.

Does this actually work well as a snorkel? I tried a very similar one and it was easy to carry but didn't have enough height or rigidity to work in bad conditions (like when I might need it). I ended up folding a snorkel with a flexible end into my bcd. It is great to snorkel with. As far as clipping them on in an emergency just tuck them under your mask strap.
It works great for when I need a snorkel, which isn't often when I'm diving.. In rough weather I keep the reg in.. Haven't tried the snorkel then

When I expect to encounter waves that make an extended surface swim uncomfortable without a snorkel I'll stick a regular dirt cheap bent pipe style snorkel into the back of my bcd, a bungee to keep it in place. I've not come across a folding one that seems as simple or reliabl, and my pocket space is too precious to have it with me on all dives, it's rare there's a dive I'll want a snorkel along as an emergency device.

Some guys I know love the folding ones though.

Regards,
Cameron

Piranha Dive has them for $10.....I have several.

In agree, I rarely take mine along but in choppy water or longer surface swing my Aqualung roll up snorkel works great...kind of a pain to put away once it's out but it doesn't take up much room, I put mine on a clip inside my BC pocket or in my side pocket of my drysuit.

I have to wonder why more divers don't use this type of snorkel??? Maybe they do and I just don't know it yet???
Maybe they do and you don't know it because you don't see them in their pockets? I'm not really sure how many people do because I don't have xray vision either. :wink:

We've got a couple of the roll up silicone ones and I think they're great. I'm not going to wear a snorkel on my mask and I'm not into strapping it to my leg, but this I can stuff in a pocket where I will at least have it if I need it (which I haven't.)

The roll up ones aren't as nice to use. To actually go snorkeling a more standard rigid snorkel is better, we've still got those too. If I did long surface swims with a snorkel on a regular basis I might stick with a regular one. I like (simple) splash guards and purge valves on snorkels. They're nice if the surface is a little choppy. Some of the roll up ones have these too, which I think is useful given their generally shorter stature.

I would probably avoid snorkels that are more fold up than roll up. I find snorkels with corrugated sections are prone to eventually failing at the fold points. I've also had an Apollo Prestige, which is described as foldable/stowable, but it's not really. It sort of folds but mine came with with nothing to hold it that way, and the tube gets crimped and doesn't recover very well. It's actually quite nice (though expensive) as a regular snorkel, but not so great if you want something to store small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom