Looking for folding snorkel????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the same one, never used it until now. The thing I feel a bit uncomfortable with is the sort of rubber band to tie up the snorkel to the mask. I am considering to buy one like this, with a clip instead of the rubber band:
Boccaglio Snorkel Mares Nero BK SA Pieghevole
I am not sure about it, but the clip should be similar to the Mares clips of Mares regular snorkels, which are very good. Anyway perhaps it's just better to clip the roll up snorkel to the bcd, or even not to bring one
I stick it under the mask band when I use it, the rest of the time it stays in my dry suit pocket or tech shorts

I do carry my foldable snorkel in every dive trip. I just don’t like to clip it on my mask strap when I don’t need it. It is distracting, especially during fast current diving. I used to store it in my BCD pocket & clip it on my mask strap when I need to use it. It was normally sits in my dive gear rack provided by the boat, together with other unneeded gear for that particular dive, like night dive marker, reef hook, etc. If the next one is just a snorkeling trip, then I’d just attach the snorkel onto my mask.

Last August, when I went to Flower Garden with Fling Charter in Gulf of Mexico, a manta was hovering around the boat during a surface interval. So, I just grabbed my snorkel, mask & fins from my dive gear rack & jumped into the water to swim with the manta. A dive buddy in the boat took time to also bring his GoPro & shoot the picture, below. You can actually see how close the manta was to the boat from looking at the boat ladders in the blue background.

84F35DE9-F376-4CA6-AEAD-93B3412E336C.jpeg

It’s been a while since I have it, may be about 8 years. So, I forgot the brand name & model. It works well. I just need to make sure to remember to take it out of my BCD pocket after diving trip and store it in unfold condition. Otherwise the part that gets folded would lose memory & collapse or split as the plastic gets brittle with time. Here is what it looks like when it’s unfolded:

0E1D4CA3-E70C-46E4-B909-41263BFD646F.jpeg

It has a snap-on clip over mask strap. So you can snap it on while you are floating in the water with mask on.

Now I’m more safety conscious, so I decided to carry it together with my other safety gears in my BCD pockets, as shown below:

AC83E3E8-4483-4861-8D3D-38E1B8AC95F7.jpeg

My foldable snorkel is the one on the far left. I repacked my safety kit & figured out a way on how to put my foldable snorkel back into my BCD pockets. Basically I organized them As follows:

Left pocket:
1. MRG
2. PLB1
3. Flashlight
4. Dye Marker
5. Foldable snorkel

Right pocket:
1. DSMB & 100’ spool
2. Pouch A containing strobe, glow stick, batteries
3. Pouch B containing carabiners & leash

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/