Looking for first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the info and I'm leaning towards Atomic but still not certain on anything. i like the idea of the lifetime warranty.How well is an Atomic Z2X in cold water? what would be its limitations ...

martzak beat me to it.

I've had my Z1 in 36 degree water and it works great.

All the Atomics breathe the same, however if you're going to have the Z2 sealed, check the price of the M1, since it comes already sealed and has a few extra features.

Terry

actually I think oceanic offers a lifetime warrenty on the reg if you keep up with the maintenance. And they have a free maintenance part program also.

thoughts about Oceanic EOS regulators in Cold water ? I know the Delta 4 with DVT first stage is used widely ?

Well the EOS is the only one on the list that has a balance first and second stage. This seems to be the treading of newer regs. It suppose to breath even better then just the balance first. The Delta 4 is approved for the Cost Guard divers in Alaskan command so I would imagine the EOS will meet the same standards for cold water.

Atomic M1 for rec/tech diving. If cave diving is going to be a serious consideration for the future then get the M1 reg & M1 octo AND have the second stage & octo outfitted with the Atomic cave rings for ease of disassembly and cleaning while submerged. Cave divers sometimes have to disassemble their secondaries and do some gunk cleanout due to silt all while diving. The Cave Ring will come in handy for this activity, but it's an option so let the dealer know that's what you want. That way the units will come pre-assemble from the factory with cave rings.

The M1 is also rated for up to 80% Nitrox.

ok let's add another in for consideration.. scubapro MK17/G250..THoughts?

I know I'm incredibly Biased as I sell Oceanic, but in a feature to feature comparison the EOS shines. As others have mentioned, the more compact FDX10 1st stage is an environmentally sealed Balanced Diaphram (currently the only one reccomended for use by the NOAA) It is widely serviceable and has a Lifetime warranty as well. The second stage is also balanced for additional peace of mind, and comes with an inline ball joint swivel and cushioned mouthpeice for comfort. As someone said earlier at this level, all regs pretty much breathe the same, so features matter more to me. The only advantage that I have seen in the atomic is the 2 year service schedule.

As I said, I know I'm biased, so take it for what it's worth. I second the reccomendation to try before you buy if at all possible. If you want to make a trip to Pittsburgh, I'll gladly take you out for a few dives. :)

A couple of points to consider.

1. Definitely DIN. You can get a yoke adapter if all you have is yoke tanks, but DIN is a must in overhead and cave environments. So make sure which ever reg you choose comes in DIN for no extra cost.

2. Buy from a company that gives lifetime service parts for free. That will save you a bunch over time.

3. Buy from a company that continues to make parts and supports their older regs. There is nothing more frustrating than finding out parts are no longer available. I have some 30 year old Scubapros that still work better than some of my new regs. And parts are still available. The company is rock solid and can't be beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom