Looking for First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two suggestions:

1. Aeris 5 Oceans

Here you can read a Review

2. Mares Pegasus

Here you will find a test (Mares Pegasus compared to a Halcyon Eclipse)

But keep in mind: The decision depends on your needs and on what you want to do with the BC.

IMO reviews like these make amusing reading material but I have a hard time taking them serious enough to base kit decisions on them.

I used an Excursion on about 5 dives and liked it. However, I now have 66 dives on my Zeagle Express Tech and love it. There has been plenty written about the Express Tech here on SB. It is very affordable and a great setup for warm water diving.

Two suggestions:

1. Aeris 5 Oceans

Here you can read a Review

How is 5 oceans different from Oceanic Excursion other than absence of cummerbund? Does it have a rigid back plate?

2. Mares Pegasus

Here you will find a test (Mares Pegasus compared to a Halcyon Eclipse)

Isn't Pegasus just a cheaper version of the Icon BC? Not sure what the differences are but based on the search results of this and other diving forums MRS+ IW system is way too risky for comfort...

How is 5 oceans different from Oceanic Excursion other than absence of cummerbund? Does it have a rigid back plate?

Isn't Pegasus just a cheaper version of the Icon BC? Not sure what the differences are but based on the search results of this and other diving forums MRS+ IW system is way too risky for comfort...

I think you are refering to the Air Trim system, if I remember correctly the older ones were pneumatic which could stick to "inflate" and buoy you to the surface. It also solves a problem which doesnt really exist.

If you are set on a low profile back inflate BC I think you should seriously consider a BP/W. I dive a 30lbs Halcyon Eclipse and its as low profile as it gets. The fit is in my opinion a lot nicer and I think the way the tank is held is a lot more solid.

If the price is too steep, look at DTD, Frog, DIR zone. Don't let the DIR/Technical side hold you back, I got mine immediately after I passed OW and its great for recreational diving.

If you are unsure, try both options in the water before spending your hard earned cash. A good BC should last for years.

Remko the OP is from the US. I don't think we can get DTD, Frog, or DIR Zone here. I heard of DIR Zone but the other two I have no idea. The OP can get a BP/Wing combo from Cave Adventurers for about $375.

Remko the OP is from the US. I don't think we can get DTD, Frog, or DIR Zone here. I heard of DIR Zone but the other two I have no idea. The OP can get a BP/Wing combo from Cave Adventurers for about $375.

DTD and DIR Zone are both identical, also DTD wings are being marketet under UTD equipment which has a base down in California. Then there is also dive-rite, DSS etc.. Plenty of BP/W manufacturers out there but I decided to list the most common alternatives that came to mind (lazy as I am ;-).

Ordering online is ofcourse also an option, no need to worry about what size to buy.

I am selling a Zeagle Brigade (ranger with 35 lb escape wing). It is a very solid BC with less than 30 dives on it. I'm selling B/c I switched to BP/W. Let me know if interested.

Hmm, as far as I can see, the Excursion seems to be some kind of a heavier "luxury" version of the 5 Oceans. What I like about the 5 Oceans is that it is a lightweight BC (good for travel) but a rugged one, too.

Maybe you would like to watch this video:cool2:

One thing I miss on the 5 Oceans is a crotch strap.

No, Icon and Pegasus are quite different. The Icon is a pure travel BC without a rigid backplate and a much smaller bladder. Regarding the MRS+ weightsystem I have to admit that I never heard anything negative about it.

The reason why I suggested both BCs is that they are kind of minimalistic but still rugged. If one doesn't like a BP/W both BCs seem to offer similar characteristics without any bloat.

But that's just my opinion:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom