Looking for fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would look at a pair of atomic smoke on the water fins. i have a pair and i love them. they will definitely be the fastest pair of split fins you can get. they come standard will a dual diameter spring strap so it is very easy to put on and take off.

i would look at a pair of atomic smoke on the water fins. i have a pair and i love them. they will definitely be the fastest pair of split fins you can get. they come standard will a dual diameter spring strap so it is very easy to put on and take off.

Why would you need "fast" fins for scuba? Is it a race?

Oceanic V-12 Split fins, easiest fin to move through the water ive ever used, very efficient, the straps are pretty easy to get on as well.

spring straps make any fin easy to get on and off. I'd test dive fins before buying them.

...can I tell if an open heel fin really fits ?

I am new to this forum and this is my second post. I've been reading almost everything I could get my hands on but haven't found any advice on this question.

I've bought a pair of booties but am not really sure about how far into the fin I should be able to get with these on (Mares avanti superchannel or quattro excel).

Any advice for a total newbie ?

the booties should fit snug, without a sock and not too much play on the front for the big toe just a little bit to move around inside the bootie, don't worry the bootie will loosen up a bit once you get them wet. The front of the bootie should meet the front of the cup of the fins when the fin strap is secured onto the back of your boot.

the type of bootie whether soft soled (flexible bottom)and hard sole (sneaker like) will make a difference in fin fitment. If you go with the sneaker type you might have to get a size larger on the same fin than as if you were intending to use a soft soled bootie.

note: deep see, aqualung fits better with aqualung or u.s. divers fins.

Akona will fit the other brands better, IMHO.

Once you have your fitted bootie secured in the foot pocket and fin strapped placed, (make sure that you pull the ends of the straps at the same time while keeping the middle aligned to the back of your ankle) check the sides for any gaps or wobbleness, shake the fin left to right manner, then sit down on a chair or bench and pull on the tip of fin with both hands to see if is a good fit.

I hope this helps.

I'm a relatively new diver and am looking to buy some open heel fins for myself. I completed my open water dive last month using the Mares Avanti Quattro fins.

I didn't really like the Quattros because I found they were difficult to put on and take off. I'm not the most limber person in the world and I have trouble lifting my leg up high enough to click in the difficult snap. I have difficulty putting them on/off with all my other scuba gear on, even in waist deep water I still need my buddy to click the snaps down for me. Also, I have buoyancy issues with me feet, they keep wanting to float and this is rather painful on the back. For the certification class I used some ankle weights, but would like to get rid of the ankle weights as soon as possible. I also tire easily (I'm not the physically fit diver that I would like to be, I'm a bit overweight) and am looking for a fin that is easier to kick with.

I'm looking for some fins that are easy on/off (must be easier than getting the Quattros on/off), negatively buoyant to help with my floaty feet, and easy to kick.

Thinking about the Atomic Split Fins. Can you get a better strap upgrade on these or is the strap it comes with pretty good? I was also thinking about the Apollo Bio-Fin. My dive buddy was using these and they had a nice stretchy heel strap that was easy to put on/off. The only thing is that the foot pocket seemed to be a bit wide...

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appriciated. I really love diving and want to feel as comfortable as possible under the water. Thanks.

Sounds like you are a candidate for Apollo Bio fins with spring straps.
I own both Bio fins and Atomic Smoke on the Water fins.
The Apollo Bio fin is the most comfortable and efficient fin I have ever used. The springs make them easy on and easy off. They are also negatively buoyant. I am foot heavy and that is why I purchased the Atomic smokes. They are positive in the water and almost as good for me as the Apollos. Not quite as comfortable.

I didn't really like the Quattros because I found they were difficult to put on and take off. ... Also, I have buoyancy issues with me feet, they keep wanting to float and this is rather painful on the back. For the certification class I used some ankle weights, but would like to get rid of the ankle weights as soon as possible. ... I'm looking for some fins that are easy on/off (must be easier than getting the Quattros on/off), negatively buoyant to help with my floaty feet, and easy to kick.
Lots of suggestions for Quattros with spring straps. I add my vote to that, on the basis of ease on donning / doffing, and kicking. For warm water / wetsuit diving, I love Quattros, and the spring straps are the difference. I find the Mares buckles to be unworkable (although supposedly easy to use). Plus, if you break a strap, or a buckle, getting parts from Mares is next to impossible (as well as expensive), and Trident straps are worthless. Quattros are simply great fins for recreational diving, easy to kick with and provide good propulsion. But, they may not work for floaty feet in some cases. That MAY be an issue of technique and experience, however, and will resolve with additional diving. I haven't found it to be a problem diving wet. As for SP Jets recommended by several (with spring straps, of course!), I really like the fin, for drysuit diving. It is negative, but also heavy. I will use mine for wet diving, but I find they move me to 'foot heavy'.

I'm a relatively new diver and am looking to buy some open heel fins for myself. I completed my open water dive last month using the Mares Avanti Quattro fins.

I didn't really like the Quattros because I found they were difficult to put on and take off. I'm not the most limber person in the world and I have trouble lifting my leg up high enough to click in the difficult snap. I have difficulty putting them on/off with all my other scuba gear on, even in waist deep water I still need my buddy to click the snaps down for me. Also, I have buoyancy issues with me feet, they keep wanting to float and this is rather painful on the back. For the certification class I used some ankle weights, but would like to get rid of the ankle weights as soon as possible. I also tire easily (I'm not the physically fit diver that I would like to be, I'm a bit overweight) and am looking for a fin that is easier to kick with.

I'm looking for some fins that are easy on/off (must be easier than getting the Quattros on/off), negatively buoyant to help with my floaty feet, and easy to kick.

Thinking about the Atomic Split Fins. Can you get a better strap upgrade on these or is the strap it comes with pretty good? I was also thinking about the Apollo Bio-Fin. My dive buddy was using these and they had a nice stretchy heel strap that was easy to put on/off. The only thing is that the foot pocket seemed to be a bit wide...

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appriciated. I really love diving and want to feel as comfortable as possible under the water. Thanks.
Why don't you have a look at Subapro Jet Fins ,or Beaver assault fins if your using a dry suit as they are a much wider!

DC

Why would you need "fast" fins for scuba? Is it a race?

LOL, that's what I'm always wondering, too.

Having said that, I really like my Atomic SOTWs. They are super comfortable and easy to don on and off. Whether they're fast or not, I really don't know but much like walking I always get where I'm going and manage to enjoy myself along the way.

I long ago concluded that fins, like masks and pretty much all the gear that's out there, are a highly individualized choice. What works well for me doesn't necessarily mean it will work well for others.

If possible, try before you buy. If not possible, then take a chance and realize it's not the end of the world if you later decide to move on to something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom