Looking for Edge epic service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was also there yesterday! You may know or not but.... The little adjustment sequence, and problems to look for that kind of thing and more!
It is a course I can recomend to anyone that has the desire to learn about the HOG D1 reg. ( all regs are similar but).......
It is a model of support that many wish to have, and some have asked many other reg companies to do. (with none thinking a diver tech or otherwise could work on thier own regs without legal pit falls) God bless the lawyers!
Chris is trying to change the diving industry and give people what they want!
BTW Ever try to get an Aqualung reg rebuild kit? I've seen threads that are asking others where to get some parts for other regs! HOG gives you a way to get them without a back door route! BRAVO!
On another note Rod Pederson conducted a very good class. The class is stated that it is at a consumer level, but is NOT less than needed to be confident to diagnose or trouble shoot a reg and dive it!
Kudo's to Rod and to Chris for not thinking like the others even though Chris prob, can't sleep some nights!
See you topside! John

I see this as a severe overstatement of the truth. One can successfully learn to service their own regulators by reading Vance Harlow's book. Many people have been doing just that for many years. Sure, the little tricks that make it easier or faster may be a bit harder to come by, but the book is all many people need to provide the necessary knowledge (and confidence). Sure, you can also screw a regulator up and some folks would benefit from a experienced tech looking over their shoulder preventing some of those errors. It is hard to beat having a good mentor help you get started; but far from necessary to get started..

AWAP, you're probably correct, a determined individual with a higher than average mechanical aptitude who is willing to fumble their way through the learning process will, eventually, be able to perform a simple regulator overhaul. The problem, however, is exactly as you have identified it: enrolling in the School of Hard Knocks means you're going to spend way more time learning much less and somewhere along the line you should plan eating the cost of replacing the regulator you just munged up, not to mention extra kits and occasional other bits that get consumed as part of the learning curve. It seems daft that someone would pay that kind of a price to learn how to do a half-assed job but YRMV.

For those that took the class from Rod, congratulations! I think you made a wise decision and I'm glad to hear it went well and that you think it was worth it. For those of you having a hard time deciding how to proceed, I'd suggest this: discount what the manufacturer, the instructors, and the hard knockers say but listen to the results of those who have actually taken the class - they're the ones who were in your situation and are probably your best source of information.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. Don't forget to breathe.

Well one of the tidbits of "secret lore" is the order in which to assemble the first stage so you don't ruin the HP seat. I would have done it wrong. You do get the service manual with all the torque specs in it, some instructions on removing some pesky o-rings with out ruining the sealing surfaces. I would have to look at my notes to list some more.

wow. You should probably turn off all your lights and stay away from the windows. Thanks for divulging and good luck with the ramifications.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I would think that kind of straightforward instruction would be set forth explicitly in the official reg servicing manual. I don't know if I would term that sort of info "secret lore." That kind of info is in every other official servicing manual for other reg brands.

Notably, the freely available Zeagle manual ...........and, although the regulators can be assembled "out of sequence" just fine (unlike, apparently, your dad's TR6), it's nice to have the "preferred sequence" on hand so you can figure out why it's preferred.

Well one of the tidbits of "secret lore" is the order in which to assemble the first stage so you don't ruin the HP seat. I would have done it wrong. You do get the service manual with all the torque specs in it, some instructions on removing some pesky o-rings with out ruining the sealing surfaces. I would have to look at my notes to list some more.

What did they teach you about the LPI connection O-ring? That is the queen bitch of o-rings in my book followed by the princess on the down stream end of an LP hose. In just about all cases there are certain no-no and certain options. The big no-no is don't damage the sealing surface. That mean you should be able to ID which surfaces are sealing surfaces and which are not. Then there are some technique options - basically the stabbers and the hookers. I'm a hooker. If I were a stabber, I'd probably be using more brass picks.

...a determined individual with a higher than average mechanical aptitude who is willing to fumble their way through the learning process will, eventually, be able to perform a simple regulator overhaul...It seems daft that someone would pay that kind of a price to learn how to do a half-assed job

As I have stated before, I have no quibbles with the stated policy or criteria - his company, his rules.

But this is a bit over the top. The sad part is, you are probably completely unaware of how condescending and elitist you sound.

Wow.

It is NOT rocket science. They are not complicated devices. DIYers teach themselves how to service their own other branded regs out of books all the time, in the absence of training classes. A class can, with the right instructor, make it easier. It is not the only way to learn, and insulting large groups of people is not really necessary to defend the companys policies.

Wow.

Is Chris teasing up now? :)
Webpage Category

BTW I have no issues with the HOG policy, EXCEPT that I'm not sure if there's any certified services agents in Australia. I'm doing fundies but will only get a rec pass initially as I'd rather do it on singles, then upgrade to doubles later. This does not qualify me to sit the course when i'm in the US later this year.

What I continue to be impressed with is the ability to actually have "HOG" reply to these discussions. Good luck getting anything apart from "no" from most of the major manufacturers.

It is NOT rocket science. They are not complicated devices. DIYers teach themselves how to service their own other branded regs out of books all the time, in the absence of training classes. A class can, with the right instructor, make it easier. It is not the only way to learn, and insulting large groups of people is not really necessary to defend the companys policies.

Don't know how you or other got offended, but the HOG's model of support a first! (that I know of?)
Like someone said it's his ball, his rules!

Do you get other reg companies to sell you OEM parts? Is it through the front door with paper or is out in the back hush hush?

You are right that regulators are not that complicated and most have very similar features and design, but I
do not know of any other company that will sell repair or replacement parts to a consumer.

Untill some other companies sees the dive world like Chris you will prob still have to have a back door or other way to attain OEM parts.(not the o-rings) HOG has offered a way to get such items and without the secret hand shake or other method!

This is the kind of support that I wish other companies would have had in my short 20+ years of diving or at least offered the DIYer.
I have a great breathing reg that I rebuilt and can get parts for if needed, without the secret hand shake!
The course is good, even for the guy that certified service tech!
See you topside! John

AWAP, you're probably correct, a determined individual with a higher than average mechanical aptitude who is willing to fumble their way through the learning process will, eventually, be able to perform a simple regulator overhaul. The problem, however, is exactly as you have identified it: enrolling in the School of Hard Knocks means you're going to spend way more time learning much less and somewhere along the line you should plan eating the cost of replacing the regulator you just munged up, not to mention extra kits and occasional other bits that get consumed as part of the learning curve. It seems daft that someone would pay that kind of a price to learn how to do a half-assed job but YRMV.

For those that took the class from Rod, congratulations! I think you made a wise decision and I'm glad to hear it went well and that you think it was worth it. For those of you having a hard time deciding how to proceed, I'd suggest this: discount what the manufacturer, the instructors, and the hard knockers say but listen to the results of those who have actually taken the class - they're the ones who were in your situation and are probably your best source of information.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. Don't forget to breathe.

I'm sorry but I think you are (trying to?) making this sound harder than it really is. Some people, like me, do it for fun, time taken is irrelevant, the fun is in the learning process and a sense of achievement. I am not a rocket scientist by any stretch of the imagination and have not found it overly difficult or complex. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but for the average person who has an IQ higher than room temperature it is very acahivable. In short it's just not that hard.

If you meet the criteria, can attend the workshop then great, go for it, I know I would. But for those who do not and cannot self servicing can be viable option. The reality is most divers are not interested. Those who wish to self service are an extremely small number compared to the number of actual divers.

FWIW I don't take no issue with HOGs rules around this, it's their game and they can play it any way they like. Lets face it as far as I know they are the only company that even offers such a possibility and this alone is most commendable.

Last edited:
Do you get other reg companies to sell you OEM parts? Is it through the front door with paper or is out in the back hush hush?

You are right that regulators are not that complicated and most have very similar features and design, but I
do not know of any other company that will sell repair or replacement parts to a consumer.

Did you mean beside Zealge, DiveRite, and Poisiden?

WOW !!!!! And all I asked was if any one could direct me in the right direction for a manual or where I could get one .
But I have gotten a lot of info and a lot of opinions . way cool:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom