Looking for Edge epic service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris,

You are pretty smart! You let us throw our little temper tantrum. Kick, scream and wear ourselve out! Just like kids. I still want to take the service class!

Later Mon,
Nick

I was about to say that this discussion has moved beyond the scope of this forum...

actually I have changed my position on that, in fact have started the process of making them available but the links are broken right now (inclusing on the HOG LOG and the dealer locater...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bubbletrubble

The manufacturer has decided not to release (i.e., make freely downloadable via the official website) the service manual for either the Edge or the HOG brand regs.

The Edge line is marketed toward recreational divers, and there is no official DIY-servicing class for them. Presumably, the manufacturer does not believe that recreational divers should be DIY-servicing Edge regs.

On the other hand, a DIY-servicing path is available for the tech-diver-oriented HOG line of regs.
The only way to get the service manual for the HOG regs is to take the reg servicing class, which requires some sort of "tech certification."
Students of the HOG reg servicing class have been specifically instructed not to give out the service manual to others who have not taken the class.

Hi Chris,
As I have been away from SB for a while, wanted to ask if there is any update on the availability of the service manuals for the HOG/EDGE regs on your website?
I just checked today on the EDGE/HOG website, and there isn't one.
Can you please advise as to when can we expect to have one uploaded?

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

I can easily download manuals for everything as well but how about you provide a link to where Zeagle allows you to download the manual on their website for non dealers?

If you don't I will be making it so you can't post in the EDGE section anymore, I have tried to be very easy going on stuff in here but this is getting beyond silly.

Regarding Zeagle not having to go too far... REALLY???? You believe that??? Your implication is wrong.

Zeagle Regulator Service Manual - Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM%

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cerich

actually I have changed my position on that, in fact have started the process of making them available but the links are broken right now (inclusing on the HOG LOG and the dealer locater...

Hi Chris,
As I have been away from SB for a while, wanted to ask if there is any update on the availability of the service manuals for the HOG/EDGE regs on your website?
I just checked today on the EDGE/HOG website, and there isn't one.
Can you please advise as to when can we expect to have one uploaded?

Many thanks and Happy New Year!

...So isn't there any update on the subject? .................. Chris? Anyone?

With the above comment posted by Chris back around March/2012, I was thinking that a service manual would be available for a download by now. Or maybe it is, and I'm just looking in the wrong place?!?
Someone please advice.

Many thanks.

If you think you can learn to service a regulator by reading a book or a manual (or even lots of books) you’re bat-**** crazy. There are many critical skills and lots of critical knowledge that can only be learned hands-on and while a book may give you some of what you need to know it simply cannot give you everything that you need to know. The best place to learn these skills is working at the bench with an experienced technician leaning over your shoulder guiding and coaching you, second-best is a structured course like the Hog class where you actually do the work real-time.

While I agree with your position, for someone like me who does NOT live in the US, and therefore does not have access to the official TDI course, the lack of information is somewhat frustrating. I have the pleasure of being able to dive with experienced tech divers and instructors who service all their own gear, have for years, and are willing to spend time teaching me the tricks of the trade. But there's a lack of reference information - specifically around torque settings etc. We do finally have a HOG dealer in Australia, but he is 600 miles away, so quick fixes are just not possible.

I also do a lot of travel diving, and HOG allows me to carry around a spares kit, but stops me from having the knowledge to either use it, or to provide to a local reg tech. I love my HOG gear, but at times it feels like I have bought a car where the key to open the fuel flap is only available at a certain brand of fuel station.

So while I understand the non-public publishing of a repair manual, even a list of torque settings would be highly appreciated.

First of all I want to say that HOG is a good company that produces quality gear. I know because I own many of their products.

Second of all at the same time it is very discouraging when mixed messages (or no messages at all) are given from the owners of the company regarding this topic, namely a freely downloadable Service Manual.

Can we please get an official straight answer? Will there be a free downloadable Service Manual available for all us HOG customers in the near future(or the far future) or not? And if not can we please get an explanation as to why not when it was clearly stated that one will be made available. Waiting for this is very frustrating and disheartening!

Many thanks,
HOG customer.

I have no idea as to the current availability of a full manual; I do know that the schematics are available.

I think it is the same as it used to be. You want the manual, take the class. If you don't have any "technical" certs, get one. Take advance nitrox, or deco procedures Those two will help any diver become safer, and more knowledgeable. The options are there, stop trying to work around the system and accept it. Most manufactures require you to go to one of their repair classes to service be certified to repair their equipment. Actually if I am not mistaken, most if not all of these require you to be sponsored by a dive shop. HOG is the only one to extend this directly from the manufacture to the diver, and decided to go through TDI. I don't know if this is true, but has anyone actually considered that it might not be HOG requirement to be tech certified, and that it might be a TDI thing. I for one applaud HOG and what they are doing for the dive industry. I own several HOG products, and will buy more. I have several tech certs but not the repair class yet. I will be taking it in the future. I understand the requirements and accept them, as you all should. On another note, you can purchase many parts for other regs online, even download manuals from official or unofficial sources, but if you are not certified to work on those regs you void all warranties. It looks to me that HOG will still warranty the reg as long as you take their class. So in the end it is kinda the same thing, but any tech diver can get the class, and not have to be working for or sponsored by a dive shop. That is the difference.

brysonjk, although you have put a great argument forward, respectfully I have to dissagree with some of your points. My comments are in red...
I think it is the same as it used to be. You want the manual, take the class.
Last time I checked, Chris was saying that he has started the process of making the Service Manuals available. That was almost a year ago. Since then a Service Manual has not been made available, hence my question. If officially it has been stated otherwise, please point me to it – I could be wrong.

If you don't have any "technical" certs, get one. Take advance nitrox, or deco procedures Those two will help any diver become safer, and more knowledgeable.
This has been discussed before and I agree that a Tech course will most likely help any diver become safer and more knowledgeable, although I still fail to see how this same course will help him/her become better at servicing regs.

The options are there, stop trying to work around the system and accept it.
I posted my question and directed it to the owners of the company precisely for that reason – to find out what the “system” is. You see I still have not come across any official statement from the company that a downloadable Service Manual will not be made available. In fact the opposite was stated.

Most manufactures require you to go to one of their repair classes to service be certified to repair their equipment. Actually if I am not mistaken, most if not all of these require you to be sponsored by a dive shop. HOG is the only one to extend this directly from the manufacture to the diver, and decided to go through TDI. I don't know if this is true, but has anyone actually considered that it might not be HOG requirement to be tech certified, and that it might be a TDI thing. I for one applaud HOG and what they are doing for the dive industry.
I applaud them as well.

I own several HOG products, and will buy more.
I will probably buy more as well after I save some money :wink:

I have several tech certs but not the repair class yet. I will be taking it in the future. I understand the requirements and accept them, as you all should.
The requirements for taking the class are there and I agree that they should be followed. I was asking for the Service Manual though.

On another note, you can purchase many parts for other regs online, even download manuals from official or unofficial sources, but if you are not certified to work on those regs you void all warranties. It looks to me that HOG will still warranty the reg as long as you take their class. So in the end it is kinda the same thing, but any tech diver can get the class, and not have to be working for or sponsored by a dive shop. That is the difference.
Not all divers that own HOG equipment live in the USA (it would be arrogant to think otherwise). My understanding is that HOG’s service class is only available in the States. If it becomes available to the rest of the world that would be great, but currently it is not.

Lastly, I just want to say that all I'm trying to find out is wether a freely downloadable Service Manual will be made available from HOG or not. I base my question on the fact that it was stated that one will be made available. And I would like to hear that from an official source if possible. Is that too much to ask as a HOG customer?
I don't really want to get into the whole argument about class requirements, tech certs and this and that. HOG makes the rules and i get that. It has been discussed before.

Many thanks

Not all divers that own HOG equipment live in the USA (it would be arrogant to think otherwise). My understanding is that HOG’s service class is only available in the States. If it becomes available to the rest of the world that would be great, but currently it is not.

I would be happy to teach the course anywhere, as long as my travel expenses were paid for in addition to course fees of course. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom