Looking for East Coast advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkramer

Contributor
Reaction score
I have some friends who will be coming down in early to mid June & we would like to do a dive vacation on the East Coast. Maybe 3 days of boat dives. We'd also like to do the Blue Heron Bridge since I've heard so many great things about it. I'd appreciate any advice on who to dive with & where to stay. Also, would anyone be interested in diving the Blue Heron Bridge with us as I have never been there & would like to have someone who knows the ropes show us around. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

In West Palm Beach, if you've got experience and want to go to some of the less traveled sites or be more independent in your diving, talk with Capt Van with Narcosis. In my opinion, they also have the best boat in WPB and a great crew. I like Juno Ledge, Shark Canyon, or Zion Train (wreck) to the north and Paul's Reef and Horseshoe to the south.

Scuba Diving West Palm Beach Florida with Narcosis Dive Charters

YouTube

For more commonly visited sites and more conservative diving, check with Abernathy Scuba Advantures. Another good boat and great crew.

Bahamas & Palm Beach, Florida Scuba Diving :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

If you need a guide for BHB, Force- e can set you up and you can get your tanks and weights there if you need them.

Make sure you check the tide charts for high tide on the bridge.

Hi dkramer,

BHB is between 2 really great dive areas, Boynton Beach and Jupiter. Diving these 3 areas could easily give you 3 days of diving you want. I can't help you with accomodations, my wife and I liked the area so much, we bought a modest townhouse in Hypoluxo. I dive mostly in Boynton Beach and highly reccommend Underwater Explorers. I dive less frequently in Jupiter but love the very complimentary diving with deeper reefs and better chance to encounter larger animals. I have only dived with Jupiter Dive center and like them. They have a nice 3 tanker on Fridays and Sundays with less and more experienced divers. There are several other good operators in Jupiter you can read about in Florida Diving. I'll likely sample these other operators in the near future and they are endorsed enthusiastically. The BHB is fantastic, dives are controlled by the tide tables.

You'll have a great time, sure other SBers will help you with your other questions

PS: After posting I read undfnp's post. I certainly did not mean to exclude West Palm Beach, I just don't have experience there yet in my 200+ dives in the area thus far. You certainly have many very good options in the area and will have a great trip

June is a great time to dive Florida. Water temps are warming and seas are generally low and cooperative. I would schedule dives on boats for your 3 days and revert to the BHB on days you may be blown out. In my opinion, reefs and boat dives are far superior to the Bridge dive. But if you have time or are blown out from the ocean, the BHB is lovely as a substitute. Visit Force E dive shop on Blue Heron Blvd. for a dive float and tank rentals if you dive the bridge. They are great people.

As far as diving reefs....you absolutely must dive Jupiter. Big animals like sharks and goliath groupers. I'm partial to Kyalami. I crew for them....for good reason ;-) For West Palm Beach, I'd go with Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures and Captain Cole. There is a Best Western on US1 just south of Indiantown Road. It's nearly across from Scuba Works Dive shop and they'll take care of you for tanks and rental gear. Wonderful people. You'll see for yourself. Lot's of great restaurants in the area too.

What type of rental are you looking for? Hotel, condo, house?

Well, I'm thinking Hotel but would be open to a house or condo if the price was right.

We bring our dog when we travel to Florida so we are restricted to finding dog friendly accommodations. Plus we want to have more room and ability to clean and store our gear without flights of steps so we have only rented condos or houses. And because we stay at least a week, we like to have a full kitchen. We use VRBO to find all our places, here and the Caribbean. Most recently, we have stayed in a house in Palm Beach Shores on Singer Island. PM if you want details. The only downside is that some places only want to rent for a week but the Snow Birds are gone in June so there should be good availability.

Diving in Jupiter is great! If you are in the area, you should give it a try. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center the most in part because I like the people and in part because I prepay for my dives for a huge (per trip) discount. I probably did 50 dives with JDC in 2012 Their three tank dive on Friday is really nice. I've never heard a complaint about Amazz's ride on the ScubaWorks boat either and some day will give it a try: I've seen their boat from the water it is cool looking. In Jupiter you are almost guaranteed to see big marine creatures: depending on the time of year, that will be sharks, goliath grouper, loggerhead, green and hawksbill turtles, big green morays, huge southern rays, etc.

Here's a sample of what you might see in the area. Drift Diving with Sharks in Jupiter while Gary Hoey plays WIPEOUT - YouTube

I think West Palm Beach is also very nice: most of the bull sharks I've seen are in WPB and you'll probably see some big stuff but not nearly as likely as in Jupiter unless you're on a wreck like the Zion train mentioned above. In WPB, I've dove with Narcosis, Walkers, Scuba Club and Jim Abernathy: all are good operators. A lot of the local boats only have morning trips during the week and Scuba Club does have one of the few Friday afternoon two tank dives. I've dove BHB in the AM on a Friday (when tides are right) and gone out with SC in the afternoon.

I only occasionally dive in Boynton, but have taken several trips with Underwater Explorers and have had good experiences.

Unlike some other SB members, I also like Pompano and Lauderdale by the Sea: if the wave action is minimal, I think the first reef line (Pompano drop off) is one of the nicest shallow reefs one will find in Florida. Its not fun with robust waves because of the surge though. You can either hook up with Gold Coast Scuba's Meetup Group for a beach or boat dive or look to a boat operator directly. I've been out with Pompano Dive Center, Scubatyme and South Florida Dive Headquarters.

For diving the Blue Heron Bridge, you can rent gear (tanks, flag, etc) at Force-E on Blue Heron Blvd: they also have little maps of the dive site.

Since I live here, I don't know much about the hotels but some of the above mentioned dive boats/shops have info on their websites: I know South Florida Dive Journal also has information on its website about hotels too.

Before we moved down here I stayed at best western I universitu here in boca. Good rates nice pool hot tub beds were uber comfotable.

If you wanted to go further south, the Windjammer is right on the beach in LBTS.
Windjammer - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam

the good thing, as you well know, tourist season is over, so rates are cheaper and rooms plentiful. June is a good time to dive the east coast.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom