looking for divemaster jobs and research positions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkatev

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!
I'm Mary Kate-new to these forums so bear with me here!
I'm a senior (almost graduated) at UCLA pursuing a career in Marine Biology-ideally research dealing with conservation of the reefs-but I'd be happy anywhere in or out on the water as long as I'm making some sort of difference.
I'm currently a certified Open Water Diver and I have plans to move to Byron Bay for a few months starting in October to get my advanced, rescue and divemaster completed.
I came across this site as I was doing some research on a few jobs and opportunities that my professors connected me to, but I thought I'd see if I could get any new advice on how best to proceed in terms of finding a research position or a job following that since this seems to be the place to go!

good vibes and gratitude,
MK

From what I've seen, Mary Kate, and I see a lot, is that folks such as yourself might have wanted to apply for summer internships a couple of months ago. Many NGOs as well as state and federal agencies hire summer interns for a pittance just to check them out, assess diving skills, etc. If you haven't yet done so, you will probably want a scientific diver class of some sort under your belt, maybe a fish ID or coral transect class so you can be ready for summer field season.

Summer field season in Florida started last week with turtle nesting, which will continue for a couple of months or so. Fish counting will get started in early June, those folks are training on NCRMP protocols, and coral outplanting will be a year round effort, but with special emphasis in the nurseries starting about now. In the Gulf of Mexico, BP is about to release about 50 million dollars of their federal fine, so of course, everyone is slavering over that.

For the most part, it's a buyers market in Marine Biology. There are a few BS part time employees at FWC, but the FTEs tend to be Master's and PhDs. Still, if you are an excellent waterman, able to drive the boat, run the survey equipment, and dive like a mermaid, yo might find yourself with a job.

Good luck in your quest.

Thank you for your response! about the summer internships unfortunately I have to finish up my final classes to graduate this summer so I wasn't able to do that this year, but I have taken a fish ID and I'll look out for a coral transect class!
Thank you for all of your advice!

I'd look at getting AAUS certification since many of the dive related jobs you could get will require it. American Academy of Underwater Sciences They also recommend certain gear so if you're planning to buy your own, maybe purchase from their list - Hollis/Oceanic is a recommended choice IIRC. They list a few scholarship/intern opportunities on their site also. A couple people on SB are also AAUS DSO's (Dive Safety Officers) among other things they're responsible for keeping scientists who are diving alive on AAUS affiliated trips. So they must know some people. I don't remember who they are but one posts in our Florida forum so do a search there for DSO.

Also the Women Diver's Hall of Fame lists about 15 similar scholarships/grants but many seem targeted at undergrads. Women Divers Hall of Fame | Home Page Might find something that would pay at least part of your expenses though. Or programs that also might be looking for paid staff.

There's coral research programs in Belize also - some are you pay, some are you volunteer. There might even be one that pays you. Nonetheless, it's experience that looks good on a C.V. IIRC one in the south Cayes is pretty highly regarded, I can't think of the name. It might be in the Sopapadilla (sp) Cayes) Coral Reserve but I'm not sure. One of the paid ones includes AOW training.

Here's a few others I looked up for someone once:

Belize: Coral Reef Monitoring at Turneffe Atoll (Scuba) | Oceanic Society
NOAA's Coral Reef Conservation Program: Volunteer Opportunities - long list of other options
SI NMNH Caribbean Coral Reef Ecosystems Home
http://www.ecomarbelize.org/coral-watch-programs.html

Reef.org also does coral re-planting (can't remember the correct word) in South Florida. Some of the people responsible for that program post here regularly. If you can't find them, NetDoc, the owner of Scubaboard volunteers there and knows who they are so send him a PM. I believe he's on a dive trip this week and the Cozumel Invasion is coming up soon so it may take a few days before he gets back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom