Looking for DFW area buddy for Travis trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have a group of 3 that heads down to Travis usually every other weekend. We are looking for a 4th to share the gas cost and to buddy up with a newer diver (< 20 dives). We've got a diesel quad cab with a long bed so we can get 4 divers with gear/tents in the truck. We usually head down Friday after work and do some night dives and camp and dive the next morning or head down Sat afternoon and do some night dives and get back Sun around 6 AM
icosm14.gif

Once it cools off a bit, this may change, I just don't like putting on a drysuit in the heat of the day.

If you are getting tired of CSSP or Athens, Travis offers a lot of good diving, its cheap and right now, its 80+ deg down to 75'.

I'm not volunteering since I can't garuntee my weekends right now, but I do have a few questions for you. Since you are local to my area and you mentioned drysuit diving - do you know a good place for a Texas Diver to replace seals? I've replaced some of them myself and I think I'll pay for someone to work on the remaining ones :)

Dearman:
I'm not volunteering since I can't garuntee my weekends right now, but I do have a few questions for you. Since you are local to my area and you mentioned drysuit diving - do you know a good place for a Texas Diver to replace seals? I've replaced some of them myself and I think I'll pay for someone to work on the remaining ones :)

I haven't had to change my seals yet.. my suit's 2 years old and they are starting to look a little dry, I'm thinking I'll get another year on them. I'm sure Tucker's Dive Shop in Grand Prairie could do it.

I'll stop by there and see. I work in Grand Prairie. My LDS would have to send it off.

As for Travis. my weekends are too chaotic to be a scheduled 4th person but I'd be interesting in dropping in once in a while if possible. I need to build up some dives before I take some tec classes. It would be nice slip in with a group like yours.

Dearman:
I'll stop by there and see. I work in Grand Prairie. My LDS would have to send it off.

As for Travis. my weekends are too chaotic to be a scheduled 4th person but I'd be interesting in dropping in once in a while if possible. I need to build up some dives before I take some tec classes. It would be nice slip in with a group like yours.
We'll let you know next time we head out. Just got back from a Fri-Sun trip. We were thinking we were going to do a pumpkin carving contest in PK weekend after next but the diving was so great last weekend, we may just go down to Travis again and let the pumpkins carve themselves. (besides, I don't need pumpkin guts getting on my gear).

I'll PM you next time we head down there.

I might be down for that sometime. Been a busy month though - trashfest (Comal) weekend after last, Hill country sportscar club drive last weekend, and Oklahoma offroading trip next weekend... I need a couple weeks to recover!

Do you always dive dry there (I assume not since you say it is 75+)? I've just got a 3/2 wetsuit.

I'm still a noob myself - 16 total dives - but I'm not a spaz.

History:
1) PADI cert Feb of this year
2) 1st 5 dives in PADI class in Balmorhea, TX (15-20ft deep artesian spring)
3) Next 7 dives in late Feb on dive shop trip to Cozumel. 1 night dive, two 90 foot dives, drift, boat etc.
4) Next 2 dives were in BVI in April. One on some plane wreck at 30-ish feet and two on the wreck of the Rhone (40-80 feet)
5) Last 2 "dives" were at trashfest - max of 10'.

I'm pretty good on air consumption for a noob (actually I need to try breathing more or more deeply - I had some headaches after my deep dives in Coz. and BVI.)

Kaiser442:
I might be down for that sometime. Been a busy month though - trashfast weekend after last, Hill country sportscar club drive last weekend, and Oklahoma offroading trip next weekend... I need a couple weeks to recover!

Do you always dive dry there (I assume not since you say it is 75+)? I've just got a 3/2 wetsuit.
It's 80+ down to 75'. Me and the guy I ususally dive with (fixxervi6) almost always dive dry since we usually go a bit deeper where the temps are below my wetsuit comfort level. The 3rd person (Ike) that sometimes comes down there with us always dives wet and when diving with him, we generally stay around the thermocline.

You can always get the Travis water temps down to 60' here: http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

Ballamorhehahes (however you spell it) is a pretty cool dive... I was there last Feb as well, wasn't so cool then, viz was way down compared to past years (usually 50'+) but its a good winter dive site.

Anyway, I'll PM anyone interested next time we head down there (2 weeks I hope).

loosebits:
We have a group of 3 that heads down to Travis usually every other weekend. We are looking for a 4th to share the gas cost and to buddy up with a newer diver (< 20 dives). We've got a diesel quad cab with a long bed so we can get 4 divers with gear/tents in the truck. We usually head down Friday after work and do some night dives and camp and dive the next morning or head down Sat afternoon and do some night dives and get back Sun around 6 AM

Add me to your PM list for your next trek to Travis,,,,thanks... Alan

I should have left my dive histroy as well:

OW cert Aug '04. AOW Jan '05 and I'm taking the Rescue this weekend. Nitrox cert as well. I lived in Seattle for 8 months and although we didn't dive there alot it is where my development as a diver occured. I dive both dry and wet, probably more dry after I finish refurbing an old nylon shell suit. 40 dives at the moment, mostly salt water and varied conditions. Long term interest is wreck diving and some cave diving. Been to Travis once, bloom was going and the vis was poor.

Dearman:
I should have left my dive histroy as well:

OW cert Aug '04. AOW Jan '05 and I'm taking the Rescue this weekend. Nitrox cert as well. I lived in Seattle for 8 months and although we didn't dive there alot it is where my development as a diver occured. I dive both dry and wet, probably more dry after I finish refurbing an old nylon shell suit. 40 dives at the moment, mostly salt water and varied conditions. Long term interest is wreck diving and some cave diving. Been to Travis once, bloom was going and the vis was poor.

Well, fixxervi6 and I are both intro certified... we are heading out to FL with Tucker's Dive Shop in Nov for some diving. We plan on taking the next two classes in March. That ought to be fun :)

Tuckers has a cavern/intro class starting up real soon if you'd like to come out to FL and see some real cool stuff.. cavern is probably the best class out there for improving your diving technique and intro is just plain fun. The cool thing is you can sign up for cavern and do the classroom/pool work and if you like it once you are out in FL, you can go ahead and do intro as its just more diving and running around a bunch of trees with your eyes closed and looking like a moron while people video tape you, right Rick? hehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom