Looking for cavern/deep computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuperMiguel

Contributor
Reaction score
So I got my OW cert few weeks ago, i wanted to do spearfishing and i tried it and i loved it, but at the same time i stared doing my AOW and im kinda liking it, yesterday i did night and deep and i loved it, also a week ago i went down 100ft and into a "cavern" type of environment and liked it as well.. At the moment i have a DG02 and i guess it works fine for spearfishing not to big... But it SUCKS for night time or where visibility is limited, like yesterday i was using one hand to move my light around, and it was realllllly hard to turn the back light one, and when it does go on, it just stays one for few seconds making really hard to see...

So im thinking that after AOW ill do deep dive, and most likely do intro to cavern.. So i want something that i can see... The instructor i was with recommended getting the NiTek Q, he said that its cheap and that it can be upgraded to be a really good computer...

Whats is you guys opinion on this?

Petrel is nice but in the $1000 range new.

yes that was the other one i was looking at.. but yea $600 vs $1000

---------- Post added October 31st, 2013 at 09:15 AM ----------

is it worth it the extra $400?

First, no such thing as Intro to Cavern.

Secondly, yes, it's worth the extra $400 to have the best computer on the planet, backed by the best customer service anywhere, for the easiest/simplest computer to use ever, that you'll never be able to outgrow.

You've circled "Introduction to Cave Diver", which is completely different and has "Cavern" as a prerequisite course. As for your original question, I'd suggest either a Shearwater Petrel or the Liquivision Xeo, but you should decide which decompression algorithm you want to use, and then buy a computer which runs it.

For cave diving, I would HIGHLY recommend an OLED display. I use the Liquivision X1, but LV has a whole line of bottom timers and computers which use this display. I believe the Petrel also uses it. All such gauges are expensive, so it is a matter of deciding what features and programs you want, and buying that. But budget $750 to $1000 for such a computer.

The OLED non air integrated computers from Shearwater or Liquivision. From reading reports here, the Petrel is the one to check out first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom