Looking for cavern/deep computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you get two of the same computer so you know at glance what you are seeing when you look at either one. You may not have time to think about which one you are looking at. I own a Predator. Was considering a Petrel when my OMS BT finally quits. Have decided that I am likely just going to get another Predator.

What makes the petrel that much better than the nitek?? Being able to keep 1000 logs and have Bluetooth it's cool but not 1/3 better as someone suggested

Love my Liquivison Xeo. I think Doppler uses the same. He wrote The Six Skills and is a pretty good tech diver so I figure he has pretty good taste in computers.

---------- Post added November 2nd, 2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

So, let me get this straight.... You think he should buy a "simple" computer, OKAY, the Petrel is the simplest computer on the planet to operate. Yes, I understand that's not what you meant. But your logic is that he should drop 300 or more on a computer now, then spend another 1000 later. Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run just to buy the computer you can't outgrow? The petrel will work for his diving now. It will work for his diving in 10 years. So, rather than have a closet full of gear that he no longer uses anymore because he's outgrown it. How about buying right the first time.

This is said from a guy who has 3 computers sitting on the rack in the garage that never get touched. This is said from the guy who has 3 traditional bcd's that haven't seen water in year. This is said from the guy who has tons and tons of gear he bought at the OW level that wasn't conducive to technical diving. If this man has the foresight to know that he's headed for tech diving, then by all means, buy the proper gear now, so you're not like me with gear that collects dust.

Save your 300-600 dollars on an entry level computer. Drop down 1000 dollars when you can afford it, and I promise you'll never be unhappy.

As far as the X-Deep goes... I'd prefer to stick with a company that is tried and true with a proven record of good products. There are dozens of posts on here and the other major forums about Shearwater's customer service. I suggest you look at them. I've never heard anyone complain about Shearwater. They really are fantastic.
I totally agree with you. After hating two recreational computers, I finally plunked down the money for a Liquivison, knowing that I'm most likely going into tech and hopefully, cave soon. Why did I ever waste money on anything else? Except that my first computer was purchased before something like Liquivision was available, I would totally recommend this computer to any diver who is serious about diving. Its so easy to use and learn, and it's wonderful in the dark or low-vis that we frequently dive in. I just love the tap interface. I purchased the RGBM algorithm as I really liked this addition. I love being able to change my gases quickly. I love being the easy planning function. I can sit and play with this computer in my living room, running practice dives, something I would never do with my old computers because they were just too painful to use. The first one I had to wet the buttons and they were very hard to press. The second was just impossible to figure out. Both of my old computers were as hard to use as a complicated old tv remote. I was always having to look at the tattered, wet, old manuals and simply could never remember how to use basic functions because they were not user friendly. The Liquivison is so easy to use, I had it figured out in less than an hour. I just love it!

What makes the petrel that much better than the nitek?? Being able to keep 1000 logs and have Bluetooth it's cool but not 1/3 better as someone suggested

For me just the support from Shearwater makes it a no brainer. The Q has been in development for years. Numerous delays, missed promised release dates, etc. I know one instructor that gave up waiting for it. I got my Predator in the mail on a Monday at 4 PM. By 4:30 I had it synched to the laptop, firmware updated, desk top software installed, was playing with all the settings, and had the manual downloaded and was going through it easily.

Not to mention the fact that Shearwater has been known for this for years and that they take care of issues openly,honestly, and quickly. Ever see another mfg this open and honest about their computer? From the Predator manual:

Shearwater Research Inc. Revision 2.3.3 4 Shearwater Predator​
WARNING
This computer has bugs. Although we haven’t found them all yet, they are there. It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about, or planned for it to do something different. Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer or tables. If you choose to make riskier dives, obtain the proper training and work up to them slowly to gain experience.
This computer will fail. It is not whether it will fail but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.
No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense.

I do agree that the software provided by NiTek Sucks... also not having a safety stop timer kinda sucks too...

I am on my 3rd Computer in 3 years - started with Atomic Aquatics Cobalt, but wanted out of a hose computer, so went to Galileo Sol, but really did not like the way it read when in deeper, murky waters (great lakes) or the need to use a dongle to sync to my desktop, so am now with the SW Petral and I LOVE it. As was stated earlier, this computer will work well now and in 10-15 years from now as I progress. The good news is that if you take care of your equipment and don't buy junk, the marketplace on this site is a great place to find good homes for equipment you do not use anymore! Oh yeah - I have 2 of them - set up exactly that same and worn on opposite wrists so there is no guesswork in deciphering!

I have also found the desktop SW for the Petral to be very easy to use to do firmware updates, and to transfer my data to my DiveLog DT Logbook.

so u got 2 petrels? dam :) maybe ill get one once im ready for cave diving... I will complete my AOW tomorrow, and then ill probably do Deep -> Cavern -> Adv Rec Trimix -> and then Intro to Cave..

I think thats how my instructor told me

Last edited:
I don't think there's any such thing as Intro to Cavern, unless it's just an Adventure class for the AOW. The actual Cavern class is a pretty beefy class and something you'll want to be ready for. I'd recommend taking peak performance buoyancy and,if you can, GUE Fundies or UTD Essentials before Cavern.The buoyancy skills are really important. I haven't taken Cavern yet, I'm a DM, but that's my game plan. First I'll take Fundies,to really nail down the buoyancy and kicks, then I'll take Cavern.
If you must, save the computer money and spend it on a Fundies class. It will be worth it in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom