Looking for canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kitzy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello!

I am looking for a canister light to buy in the future as I already have a battery for my heating system, before we get into the whole discussion of "It's never a smart idea to connect a light and your heating to one battery, etc", I will put it here that all my diving is done in situations where I can easily bail to the surface (If that is not the case, I will end up most likely buying another battery), I have a backup light, and my under suit is more then warm enough even for long deco-times without heating (Merely not as comfy).

So, with that out of the way!

Currently I have about 83 watts to spare but I am looking to use only 60-70 watts at most (Due to taking into account lifespan of the battery at full load).

My heating system works with a 100%, 66%, and 33% setup and consumes 120 watts. This means at 66% I have 100-110 watts left, thus any light that produces a reasonable amount of lumens with can be put down to 70 watts or lower works just fine, as I can always switch to a higher setting for the light if my heating system is not running full blast.

I dive in the Netherlands where conditions are... Well, less then ideal. Murky, cold, bad visibility, etc.

Ideally I would like a light where the beam can be adjusted, from wide to spotlight (Reason is, situations where spotlight is more preferred)

I am currently looking at the LED DUO GL7 / K3 from galmarine and plan on running it at 70 watts when my heating system is at 100% and 82 watts when it's at 66%.

Here are the specs (Cost is: 550 euro)
  • Power: 82 / 70 / 12 W

• Light quantity: 9 200 / 8 400 / 810 lum

• Focusing angle: 16° / 6°

• Dimensions: 50 x 85 x 90 mm

• Weight: 0,6 kg + battery

• Power supply: 14,4 V Li-ion battery

• Full power burn time:

• 6,8 Ah: 70’ / 80’ / 490’

• 10,2 Ah: 105’ / 125’ / 730’

• 13,6 Ah: 140’ / 165’ / 980’

• 23,8 Ah: 250’ / 290’ / 1 710’

• 41 Ah: 430’ / 505’ / 2 950’

• Line holder and goodman handle in set

• Pressure tested to 150 m, 300 m on request

However I am always open to suggestions, feedback, etc.

I am still relatively new to the whole diving torch scene and have always used a seac r40 (With will become my backup torch), so I am not sure if there is a point in a torch that can switch between wide and spotlight, with has this many lumen outputs, etc.

As for runtime, I am not that worried. I have a 41AH battery and at 190 watts I can run it for 3 hours, 2 and a half if I want to be save.

EDIT: Alternatively, the 3XML-2 is also something I am looking at

Specs (Cost: 250)
  • Power: 54 / 27 / 5 W
  • Light quantity: 4 800 / 2 400 / 480 lum
  • Focusing angle: 6°
  • Dimensions: Ø 620 / 50 x 110 mm
  • Weight: 0,6 kg + akumulator
  • Power supply: 14,4 V Li-ion accu
  • Full power burning time:
  • 6,8 Ah: 100’ / 195’ / 1 060’
  • 10,2 Ah: 145’ / 295’ / 1 590’
  • 13,6 Ah: 195’ / 390’ / 2 2115’
  • 23,8 Ah: 345’ / 685’ / 3 705’
  • 41 Ah: 590’ / 1 180’ / 6 370’

But once again I am open to suggestions, feedback, etc! :wink:

Nanight Dive Lights - made in Sweden

They sell light heads separately, in Sweden.
Thanks for the suggestion, I added the 3XML-2 to my list and it seems comparable to those.

Would be awesome if people could give their opinion/view on the whole beam angle, lumen output, etc.

That way I can try and compare things myself in what I hope is a more educated scene ^^

I have the 3xml-2, and I'm very happy with both the spot and the corona. I end up mostly using the middle power-setting(30%), and only using full power when there's something special to look at/for. I'm mostly using my 10,2ah battery, and only using my 23,8ah battery when diving multiple days with poor charging-possibilities.

I have the 3xml-2, and I'm very happy with both the spot and the corona. I end up mostly using the middle power-setting(30%), and only using full power when there's something special to look at/for. I'm mostly using my 10,2ah battery, and only using my 23,8ah battery when diving multiple days with poor charging-possibilities.
Could you enlighten me on the Corona part ? ^^

That's the light area outside the spot-beam.

Just wondering, what battery/controller do you have?

Could you enlighten me on the Corona part ? ^^
It's some kind of virus thing that has apparently been going around..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom