Looking for BP/W - HTS 2, HTS Elite, OMS, or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The extra webbing is where the harness adjusts. You have adjustment points on chest strap and under the quick releases. I mean not having the harness rest on the inflater when it is being worn. A good compromise is the Dive Rite deluxe harness at $60. It offers the adjustment of the Hollis but for $100 cheaper. You can also remove the chest strap and wear it like a simple harness. If you want a simple harness you can just by some webbing and transfer the hardware.

ah. Yep I understand you now.
With the Zeagle ranger I was using it had a sternum chest strap and it sat below the inflator so wasn't an issue. I wonder if the Hollis one would be the same?
as for the excess webbing I can understand what you mean. But in comparison to the fully loaded ranger I'm used to any bpw will feel streamlined.
I'll look at the dive rite. Thank you. But I know I can get all the Hollis stuff locally so with us$ exchange and shipping the saving might not be much.
My local dive store has a Hollis solo harness and backplate in stock. I should ask to try that and see if the basic harness works for me.
Thank you for helping with my endless questions.

It probably will but the setup is counterintuitive. You need to keep some slack in the shoulders while the crotch strap needs to be tight. Most newbies do the opposite and it really makes it difficult to take off. Also make sure you adjust it wearing your thermal protection.

There are several YouTube videos and online instructions on how to set up a harness properly.

It probably will but the setup is counterintuitive. You need to keep some slack in the shoulders while the crotch strap needs to be tight. Most newbies do the opposite and it really makes it difficult to take off. Also make sure you adjust it wearing your thermal protection.

There are several YouTube videos and online instructions on how to set up a harness properly.
Yep I've been watching lots.
I'm interested to see how much weight I can shave off with my new suit/thermals and with switching to bpw. 34lbs in the weight pockets felt a lot.
I'd still like some ditchable weight though. I like the quick release style that Hollis offer that bolt onto the bottom of the plate / on the waist strap. But I'm wondering if I can find a simpler solution.
I really don't want a weight belt. Especially with my drysuit.

Humm, A very complete DSS BP&W is ~$460. Not sure why you are lumping DSS and Halcyon together based on price.

Tobin

That post was made in 2013. From what I remember at the time there was a lot of $300-$350 deals floating around. Now not so much. So you were probably higher at the time but certainly not as expensive as Halcyon for a package deal. It is good you are able to keep the prices constant. I looked at an old post and a Dive Right deluxe harness went from $40 to $60 which is a 50% increase in less than 2 years. The HOG gear have increased a lot also.

Back
Top Bottom