Looking for BP/W - HTS 2, HTS Elite, OMS, or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingleton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm very new to BP/W setups, but I think I've been convinced. Trying to decide a good one to start with and grow with. One dive master in my Dive shop recommended HTS 2. Another dive master in same diveshop said no on the HTS 2, too much extra stuff. Just get basic OMS or Zeagle and get one that is configurable since I'm just starting out. Since researching on the internet, I also came across the HTS Elite II. I think I'm already sold on the new Hollis LW Wing so I'm just trying to figure out which BP to mount on.

Can anyway give me opinions on OMS Comfort Harness, HTS 2 and HTS Elite II that I should consider.

Also, Dive shop said, go with adjustable harness. But I read some threads on here that says skip the adjustable and just get single webbing. Will that be more difficult to configure. Harder to get out of?

Do I need a pad.

I presume I should get a aluminum if I travel a lot? But does it make since to just sacrifice the couple extra pounds and get a steel so I don't need to use as much weight. will trim be better with steel? Or should I just stick to aluminum.

I don't really like weight belts, so I plan to get one of the optional weight pockets that all of these vendors make.

Thanks for all the help.

1. Go with a back plate over the HTS or transpac style, its much more versatile and you dont need all the extra stuff.
2. A simple piece of webbing will work great, once adjusted you wont need to mess with it, plus its cheap so if you decide you really would prefer something like the comfort harness down the road you aren't out much.
3. I have used backplate pads and don't see them much benefit if the BP is properly adjusted.
4. go with a wing that is ~30 LBS MAX, for single tank that's all you need anything more creates drag and is unnecessary if you are properly weighted in the first place.
5. As for the weights play with your trim before you buy the pockets, you may decide that you want the weight on your tank instead of your waist, in which case you might want a different style pocket.

Hope this helps

1. Go with a back plate over the HTS or transpac style, its much more versatile and you dont need all the extra stuff.
2. A simple piece of webbing will work great, once adjusted you wont need to mess with it, plus its cheap so if you decide you really would prefer something like the comfort harness down the road you aren't out much.
3. I have used backplate pads and don't see them much benefit if the BP is properly adjusted.
4. go with a wing that is ~30 LBS MAX, for single tank that's all you need anything more creates drag and is unnecessary if you are properly weighted in the first place.
5. As for the weights play with your trim before you buy the pockets, you may decide that you want the weight on your tank instead of your waist, in which case you might want a different style pocket.

Hope this helps

Thanks. When you say go with a BP over the HTS, i understand if considering the HTS 2. But isn't the HTS Elite just a BP with a harness (albeit adjustment not single webbing). I've seen a lot of mention of Halycon and HOG and DSS. equipment as well.

This caught my eye. Hollis Elite II Backplate and Wing Package | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL are you saying something even more simple?

Halcyon, and DSS are both great manufacturers, and if you can afford the price, I would encourage you to purchase their equipment. What you don't want is:
-"comfort" straps / extra padding - When wearing an exposure suit, you will not notice your webbing
-quick release buckles - fitted properly you can slide in and out of a harness without the need for buckles. if you can't, it's too tight. Also a buckle is a potential point of failure
-extra D-rings - what are you attaching to 7 D-rings?
-anything fancy, really - Simple solutions are the best solutions. When underwater, you should be unaware you are wearing your harness, not managing all of its widgets.

This can be difficult to accept when transitioning from a jacket BCD, but you really don't need any of that. I guarantee if you buy that fancy hollis harness, in under 1 year you will be replacing it with a traditional one.

With that being said, I'd pick up one of these kits with the barebones selections and save yourself $200:

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I guess I got the HTS systems mixed up. IMO less is more. Go with a simple piece of 2" webbing over one of the more elaborate systems.

I just posted this on another thread, but feel like I need to post it here as well:

Really, just get a backplate with a singles wing right now. Get a DIR-style harness. You only need 5 or 6 d-rings. You don't need padding, or buckles, or clips, or pockets. All of those just add CRAP to your rig (failure points, clutter, etc). All of those bells and whistles are sold to sucker newer divers into buying crap they don't need.

The HTS 2 is a soft backplate-style BCD. What you really want is a simple, one-piece harness consisting of 2" webbing and some d-rings and a crotch strap. Any padding just adds to the size and buoyancy. Any pad you get should just be a backpad so you have a good place to stow your SMB/lift bag. No padding at all, BPWs are comfortable even with NO exposure protection (swimming pool, shirtless...I was comfortable carrying a big steel dry). A BP/W is a backplate (aluminum or stainless), harness (SHOULD be one-piece. I got an Elite 2 and sold it to get a simpler one), and a wing. Two sex-bolts and a couple of cambands, and that's it. Also, 5-6 d-rings is all you need. Scooter d-ring, tail d-ring, and then one on each hip and one on each shoulder (maybe not on right hip, depending on who you are.....don't get THAT started).

I just posted this on another thread, but feel like I need to post it here as well:

Really, just get a backplate with a singles wing right now. Get a DIR-style harness. You only need 5 or 6 d-rings. You don't need padding, or buckles, or clips, or pockets. All of those just add CRAP to your rig (failure points, clutter, etc). All of those bells and whistles are sold to sucker newer divers into buying crap they don't need.

The HTS 2 is a soft backplate-style BCD. What you really want is a simple, one-piece harness consisting of 2" webbing and some d-rings and a crotch strap. Any padding just adds to the size and buoyancy. Any pad you get should just be a backpad so you have a good place to stow your SMB/lift bag. No padding at all, BPWs are comfortable even with NO exposure protection (swimming pool, shirtless...I was comfortable carrying a big steel dry). A BP/W is a backplate (aluminum or stainless), harness (SHOULD be one-piece. I got an Elite 2 and sold it to get a simpler one), and a wing. Two sex-bolts and a couple of cambands, and that's it. Also, 5-6 d-rings is all you need. Scooter d-ring, tail d-ring, and then one on each hip and one on each shoulder (maybe not on right hip, depending on who you are.....don't get THAT started).

Thanks. I've pretty much heard the same thing with all the simple stuff. However, there were still different brands that made simple stuff.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Harness - I've kinda narrowed it down to the follow:
HOG - A lot of people on scuba boards have recommended HOG, basically that's its the simplest and minimalist and that's all I need. good value for money[/FONT]

Hollis Solo - Single Webbing and simple. Was looking at Hollis Elite II for quick release buckles. but i guess i don't need.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Halcyon & DSS - Highly recommended but most expensive. People say unless you get used, don't bother paying the premium price of Halcyon when others out will do just as good.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]OMS - A lot of people at my LDS use OMS and have recommended that.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Zeagle express tech - also a simple setup[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Bladder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hollis LS 25# or 38# - LDS recommend the new Hollis LS Bladder primary do to the internal retraction system it has. They like that alot. However I was also told I really only need a 32# bladder. Hollis doesn't make 32#. So would 25# be enough for me, but would it limit me? Approximately how much weight will I need to have one before 25# doesn't give enough lift. Is 38# a little overkill for me - creating more bulk than needed. Or better to have more just in case. ie. if I ever decide to do doubles will 25# not be enough.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]HOG 32# - Again, simplistic, recommended and has 32#. But is the Hollis LS better b/c of it's characteristics.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]It general is seems that HOG products are highly recommended due to their price vs performance. In looking at HOG compared to some hollis packages, the price difference is only about $100 or little more. I'm wondering if $100 isn't that big of deal for someone, would people still recommend HOG over other brands. Or would I benefit by paying a little more for the other brand (i.e Hollis retraction system for instance)[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Just a little about my dive profile to help with recommendation[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I'm about 5'11", 205 lbs without anything on. I typically dive warm water, salt water, but occasionally will be in a spring or lake. Most of my diving is travel to the carribean or mexico area. 3mm shorty or full. I only do single-tank now, but definitely want to be able to grow.

I like to do photography and video so want to be able to be a smooth and calm as possible. I haven't upgraded to big heavy rigs yet so lift isn't a big concern there yet, but should be able to grow.
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Zeagle's Express Tech isn't really a BPW. It's fine, but I would recommend otherwise.

If you're talking about travelling, then an Aluminum (Al or alu) plate is the way to go. If you were ONLY doing local, cold-water diving, then I'd recommend Stainless Steel (SS).

As for the Hollis Solo. That's exactly what you want, but WAY too expensive. NO need to pay for the name on that one. As for the 38# Hollis wing being too big, I had the S38 (older than the LX) and didn't have any issues with its size. I think the 25# wing could get marginal, especially in emergency situations or needing to help someone out. I had to help lift my wife when she had a complete BCD failure at 100ft in a 7mm semi-dry. She was VERY negative, and my wing was VERY full getting her to the surface. I always like having a little more lift than minimum.

For Hog vs Hollis, that's a matter of opinion. I think they're both equally good. The trick there is finding a BPW combination that doesn't require the use of an STA. For Halcyon, I agree that it's not worth it new. For DSS, it's worth it for Tobin's awesome service if you're new and don't get the answers you're looking for on here.

Sounds like you are figuring it out, if you don't want to make your own harness something like the Hollis solo is a good alternative, But I agree with the previous poster, the solo is expensive considering you could put that together yourself for a fraction of the cost.

For travel I would start with an aluminum plate. I Use a single tank adapter only because I makes going between singles and doubles a little easier, but if you are only diving singles now just weave the cam bands through your back plate.

OP, a few things. It is difficult for us to size your wing without you telling us how much weight you use, but for warm water diving in a shorty a 25 lb should be enough lift. However, you may want to double-check using the lift calculator in this forum. You will need another wing for doubles you cannot use the same wing. As far as wings go some are more flexible than others which helps with packing for example the Halcyon, DSS, Apeks, and the Zeagle Express Tech would pack better than an Oxycheq, Hollis S-series and HOG. I am not sure how flexible the Hollis LX series is. Another brand that has good price to performance is Dive Rite. I would shy away from OMS as they are not very popular.

You can buy a plate and put on a Dive Rite "Deluxe Harness" which costs $40 and has the quick release. If you decide you want a 1 piece harness you can buy the webbing for $15 and reuse the hardware so you are only out about $25.

Back
Top Bottom