Looking For Another "Cozumel"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am an advanced diver and dove Cozumel so often that I built a house on the island. Well I actually got SICK of the place and sold the house. I now want to find another "Cozumel" What made COZ so attractive was the fact that you could do other things after the days dives. Can anyone recommend ANYPLACE that offers WORLD CLASS diving along with a decent size town and shopping etc? The only place I know is Grand Cayman. Does anyone have any ideas?
THANKS!!

smokey braden:
slavetothereg,
welcome to this board.
do some research on the abc islands.
you might find that one of these fills the bill.
regards,
I'd have to agree. I haven't been to Aruba, but I have visited Curacao and Bonaire a few times. The diving in Curacao and Bonaire is world class and both islands have active central towns. Kralendijk, the capital of Bonaire, has some shopping and several really great places to eat. Willemstaad, the capital of Curacao, is known for it's fine shops, Dutch architecture, and many small eateries. Willemstaad is by far the larger of the two towns, but both have their strong points. These two islands are definitely worth looking into.

saholz:
I'd have to agree. I haven't been to Aruba, but I have visited Curacao and Bonaire a few times. The diving in Curacao and Bonaire is world class and both islands have active central towns. Kralendijk, the capital of Bonaire, has some shopping and several really great places to eat. Willemstaad, the capital of Curacao, is known for it's fine shops, Dutch architecture, and many small eateries. Willemstaad is by far the larger of the two towns, but both have their strong points. These two islands are definitely worth looking into.

But do the ABCs have the excellent drift diving?? I know what you mean with Coz. It was an amazing dive destination until 30+ cruise ships a week started showing up. On the other hand the cruise ships did allow for a serious boost to the economy allowing for more resturants, etc. It's taking some good with a lot of bad.

Also, IMHO, too many dive ops making for some pretty overdove reefs.....

I was thinking Bonaire. Aruba blows in terms of diving.

Anyone ever been to Grand Cayman AND Bonaire? If so whats the better place for DIVING (gotta be Cayman) and whats better for screwing around after your dives? We love to drive around exploring and also going shopping etc.

SlaveToTheReg:
I was thinking Bonaire. Aruba blows in terms of diving.

Anyone ever been to Grand Cayman AND Bonaire? If so whats the better place for DIVING (gotta be Cayman) and whats better for screwing around after your dives? We love to drive around exploring and also going shopping etc.

I've been to Grand Cayman too. It's very commercial, jammed with cruise ship passengers, and very expensive. The diving is excellent, especially if you find a dive op who isn't into a cattle boat operation. Personally, once was enough for me.

SlaveToTheReg:
I am an advanced diver and dove Cozumel so often that I built a house on the island. Well I actually got SICK of the place and sold the house. I now want to find another "Cozumel" What made COZ so attractive was the fact that you could do other things after the days dives. Can anyone recommend ANYPLACE that offers WORLD CLASS diving along with a decent size town and shopping etc? The only place I know is Grand Cayman. Does anyone have any ideas?
THANKS!!

Palm Beach, FL. It's a bit pricier than COZ, and the diving may not measure up to WORLD CLASS, but it's not bad. You'll get SICK of it too, eventually. Even if you have the big $$, I think it's better to spend your money and your (presumably) scarce vacation days experimenting in the many less-discovered dive spots. "Shopping" is offered by all of the cruise lines. Good diving is usually found in the (increasingly) harder-to-find destinations.

Only part of Grand Cayman is commercial, and jammed with cruise ship passengers sometimes. Easy solution, avoid those areas.

I got bored with Bonaire. I'm close to bored with Curacao but it took longer as there's a little more variety in everything there. I haven't gotten bored with Cayman yet (and it's generally easier to get to.)

Damselfish,
I would love to try Curacao but I love SPECTACULAR dives that offer an adrenaline rush, like huge walls etc. Turks offers that but the island is too quiet. Is Curacao a place that offers SPECTACULAR diving or is it somewhat tame?

Been to Coz, Little Cayman, Turks & Caicos and Curacao.

Curacao doesn't have dramatic walls or large animal life. So if that's what you are after, Curacao is not for you.

It does have healthy reefs with plenty of fish/creature life, especially small stuff. Plus you get the freedom to dive when, where, for as long as you want, as much as you want, 24hrs. a day with the shore diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom