Looking for another computer....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve been diving with Suunto computers since 1989. My first was the SML (think that was the model) and went to a gekko when I started diving nitrox. Bought a Vyper in a console when the gekko died and am still using it.

I’ve been thinking for a while about getting a back up wrist computer and am looking at getting either another Vyper or maybe a Zoop Novo.

Open to hearing suggestions and feedback from those who have the Zoop Novo.

Also open to other brands for a primary and using my vytec as the backup.

Not interested in AI and have no intention of going beyond diving with nitrox or I would simply get a shearwater.

The old Vyper is on sale for $225 at Leisure Pro. They had it for $150 the other night and might still honor that price if you ask.

I'm still new to Scuba so take this for what it's worth... I had a Vyper for a short time, used a Zoop, and have been (obsessively) researching computers. The Zoop Novo is basically the old Vyper with a face lift (screen lift?). The display is sharper, seems brighter and with more contrast. They kept gauge mode, back light, etc. from Vyper. I don't recall any major differences between the two (old Vyper, new Zoop), but there are small things like the way the alarms work, the nicer display... If money wasn't that big of an issue I'd definitely take the new Zoop Novo ($315 I think?) over the old Vyper ($225) just for the display. But if it's function over form I don't think you lose anything important in the old Vyper.

I bought but then cancelled the old Vyper only because of the RGBM algorithm - Since you're already diving Suunto's RGBM I assume that's a non-issue. I have an Oceanic computer and want to stick with something similar. And also because I was settling for the screen, which I decided is worth the extra money.

Have you considered an Oceanic Geo2? Right now, Oceanic is running a program in which you can bring in your old (even non-functioning) dive computer and get a 20% discount on a new one. If you have an authorised Oceanic dealer nearby, this is a great deal.

I would just caution you to be careful with the cable. Mine has stopped working. I read elsewhere that this is not uncommon. The computer goes into data transfer mode when you hook up the cable but the PC it is hooked up to does not see the DC. I think possibly the twisting of the cable when attaching it damages it, just a theory though. My cable lasted about a year.

I would just caution you to be careful with the cable. Mine has stopped working. I read elsewhere that this is not uncommon. The computer goes into data transfer mode when you hook up the cable but the PC it is hooked up to does not see the DC. I think possibly the twisting of the cable when attaching it damages it, just a theory though. My cable lasted about a year.

Thanks for the info. I will look into it, especially to make sure it works with a Mac and check to make sure the cable has a warranty too.

Went to my LDS and checked out the novo this afternoon and then came across a great deal on a store demo unit with download cable this evening for just under $275....so in about 2-3 weeks I will have my new blue Zoop Novo!
You should take a look at the thread about what is killing dive shops.

You should take a look at the thread about what is killing dive shops.

The computer and cable were bought through a dive shop and I was able to talk with them prior to buying everything. Most of my gear over the past 29 yrs has been bought from my LDS. I have no problems buying through another one on occasion when I get a great deal!

Back
Top Bottom