Looking for another 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Alpine has a following but it's only for the right people IMO. First of all in needs to fit you. Getting an off the rack suit that fits head to ankle as a 1 piece can be a challenge so be sure to try before you buy. Secondly there are limited options for getting 2X on your core.

I have been very happy with my Arctic which I layer with either the hooded step-in or the hooded thermal-skin depending on conditions. Those same vests get layered with a Bare 5/4 Velocity for even more flexibility.

I've got my first wetsuit, an old COMP 7mm Farmer John 2 piece. It's OK but just a bit bulky. It was given to me by a dive buddy for $50. I'd like to get something new this summer. I was looking at a Bare suit with attached hood.Bare 7MM Alpine Hooded Full Mens, Black/Steel from LeisurePro.com
Any opinions on this type of wetsuit?
Thanks, Steve

The only experience with bare that I have is that their drysuits are great, but i never hear anyone commenting on their wetsuits (that definitely doesn't mean that they are low quality, just don't know anyone with one. I will second the Xcel for a great suit but they are a bit pricey, the Mares Isotherm is a quality semi-dry just like the xcel and a little bit cheaper too. Good luck on your venture, try the suits on if you can (you mentioned leisurepro, they have that pressure free fit program).

i used that suit its not a bad suit i would just not buy it from leasure pro they sent me the wrong size then told me that was what i ordered so to bad.. and there price are the same as my dive shop so i just buy there instead alot of places have the same price or lowerer thats like a normal dive shop price.. get it a bit cheaper else were if you do deside on that suit

I have an Arctic 7mm and hodded vest (came together as a package) and love it. It's a good, well made comfortable suit that was very good value for the price. I've also used the alpine 7mm hooded. I have to agree with spectrum. I prefer the arctic without the integrated hood. It gives you more options. I can wear the 7mm fullsuit alone with a 5mm hood, or the 7mm full with the 7mm hooded vest. Or any other hooded vest I'd like if I had it.

Anyways, I'm very satisfied with my BARE wetsuits. Good quality, good price, and their sizes seem to fit me well. They also have all kinds of sizing options, to help pinpoint a good fit.

If I were you, I would find a way to try one on (no matter which brand you try). It's the only way to make sure it will fit you well! If ya really can't do that, have a look at their sizing charts here to give you an idea BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection

I like my tilos 7/5 mm semi-dry....bought it on line from unrealfind.com a few months ago....phenomenal price at the time, around $130. Fits great, tried it in the bahamas recently at 72 degrees F water temp and it was good to go....almost too warm, had to flush it sometimes to keep from overheating! Seems to be well made and has some positive comments from this web site in the past. I agree with other posters that a custom fit might be the perfect answer, but my off the rack tilos would work down into the low 60's I think with a separate hood.

Attachments

• PICT0094[1].JPG
    PICT0094[1].JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 57
Steve,
Spectrum hit it on the head, if it fits it's a good suit. To say; I like this brand and this brand doesn't do any good if that brand doesn't fit YOUR body.

E.g. My son is very athletically built and O'neil suits fit him great and he stays warm and toasty. Since I'm not a cut as he (ahh'hhem), O'neils couldn't keep me warm on the beach!

Since my God-like body is gone, I tried a Hendersen. Their fabric technology is leading edge and therefore conforms to the .....extra curves I've developed - (aaahhh'hhhem!). Otherwise - I'd go custom. Not much more money and you know it'll fit.

I want to thank you all for posting for me. I'll look into a few different suits at the two dive shops near me. The hooded vest option sounds like a great way to go.
Thanks again, Steve

Back
Top Bottom