Looking for an Altitude cert class for Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't plan on diving altitude often but with family in ABQ, NM I'm sure I'll eventually end up at the Blue Hole.

So other then reading the 20 pages in the adventure manual, acclimating to 5000' while in NM, doing extra slow ascents (as always) and setting my dive computer to the correct mode..... is there really anything else I need to know for a single dive?

That depends upon whether you do the course with me or with someone who will just give you the very minimum basics.

I'm not talking about taking the course, I'm just talking about going for a dive.

If you have been at altitude for a while (depending upon your ascent, for a maximum of 6 hours), there is no need to start with an adjustement.

If you are diving based upon tables, you have to adjust your depths to stay within NDLs.

If you are diving a computer, make sure it is adjusted to altitude.

If you are just doing a dive, that is about it.

If you want to know why you have to do all of that, take the course.

I'll throw out another freebie - don't forget the adjusted depth for the Safety Stop.

Seems like all of that was covered just reading 20 pages out of my 10 year old adventures in diving manual. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not missing anything vital if I ever want to do a dive there.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2013 at 10:09 AM ----------

I'll throw out another freebie - don't forget the adjusted depth for the Safety Stop.

That's mentioned in the book also.

Thanks all, very helpful.

John, we're talking about July. I'll PM you some details.

Planning on working in some Geocaching if ya'll know what the means.

I sent a response. I do know about geocaching, although I have not done it in a number of years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom