Looking for advice: where to buy groceries on BVI or USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoelessone

Registered
Reaction score
My family is going to the USVI and BVI for a week, and there are going to be 7 of us. eating out every morning/night is not an option, as that would add another grand to our trips cost, and its not worth it to us. So, we would like to shop at grocerie stores while on our trip.

My question is, what place should we shop for regular groceries? (looking for cheap prices)

Also, about how much does the food cost over there in comparison to a mainland grocerie store?

Thanks for the help!

Last time I was on St. Croix (July 2002), there were 2 K-Mart's there, at least one of these was a 'Super' K-Mart as I recall. There were several other supermarkets, but I can't remember their names right off the bat. We tended to shop at whichever spot was most convenient along whatever route we were driving at any point in time.

I don't remember prices being significantly different for groceries on St. Croix, but I'll admit I didn't do a whole lot of analysis of this. We tended to buy just stuff for the room for breakfast / lunch / snacks like cookies, bread, sandwich stuff, cereal, milk, Gatorade, and sodas, and generally ate out at supper time. This was easy enough since our accomodations had a full kitchen with refrigerator / freezer.

Maybe K-Mart's web site would have some sort of comparison available or place for info inquiry regarding St. Croix pricing vs. mainland USA pricing?

I've never been to the BVI, so I can't help there.

If youre going to BVI and USVI, most likely I assume in USVI you'll be on St Thomas. THere is a Super K downtown in St Thomas also.

I'd pack a suitcase of non perishable items from the states though if you have room for an extra suitcase. Put in things like Ziplocks, papertowels, box food (cereal, etc). You won't like the costs of it down there. Take it or your clothes in a collapseable duffle bag that you can pack into a regular suitcase on your way home, when you won't need the extra space for those items.

Btw... for 7 people, if you can eat out for a grand for a week. That's a deal. We spent over $100 bucks per day eating out for just two people.

haha, thanks for the advice :)

I think we are planning/hoping on shopping for most/all of our food, i'll keep k-mart/super k-mart in mind, thanks guys!

One good thing about the super k in st t........cruzan rum is only $3.99 a bottle...ohhh yeaaaaa the super k is the BEST place to buy your booze

The Super K's on St Croix don't sell food. This is due to contracts with the shopping centers they are in that also have supermarkets. The Kmart on St Thomas has limited food but not a full on supermarket. However, buy as much as you can from Kmart since they have the lowest prices on things. Bathing supplies, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, etc....

On St Croix or St Thomas, the largest, cleanest, best selection of groceries can be found at Plaza Extra. You can also try cost u less if you want a larger quantity of some items, like drinks. This is a warehouse type store.

Kmart and Plaza extra can be found at Tutu park mall on St. Thomas and around Sunny Isle shopping center on St. Croix. Here is a link for cost u less.

Have fun, and don't have heart failure when your groceries are talied up!

Overall groceries are more expensive than the mainland. Since everything is shipped in perishables like milk, bread, cheese, etc. are even higher. Here's a quick run down having recently lived there. Other posters such as Seuss and WJBrandt live there so can chime in if I'm missing anything

CostULess - Big (for the islands) warehouse style. If you want to get a case of pop/soda, chips, giant box of cereal any alchohol (beer, wine liquor) this is the place to go. This is the cheapest place for alcohol. There's another warehouse called Pricemart but you have to pay to have a membership. CostULess is next to the movie theater and home depot.

Plaza Extra- In Tutu Plaza (Center of Island), down from the Big K-mart. This is more of an island version of a large grocery store (Jewel, Alberts, Publix, etc.) Good prices, also have produce.

Marina Market - On the East End in Red Hook. Kind of a combination gourmet grocery and upscale local grocery store. Best place to buy meat (Steak, burgers) on the island. Buy your liquore at CostUless though as it's a couple dollars more here. However if you are on the East End the location can't be beat. Also very good fresh veggie, cheese and fresh seafood selection. Most East Enders just shop here since it's so convenient.

Others:
Pueblo, kind of a smaller version of Plaza Extra
Gourmet Gallery - Just like the name, In Crown Bay Marina and Havensight. Expensive and upscale.

Try the roadside stands for veggies and fruit. Depending on when you are there you can get some great avacado's, bannana's, etc. If Monkey bannana's are in, try them small and very sweet.

Can't help on the BVI but get a Paté or Johnny Cake at Zelma's. It's right next to Customs at the West End. Boy are they good!!

Enjoy your trip!

Pueblo! That's the name I couldn't remember. It was often convenient if driving into Christianstead from the west (going east) if I remeber right.

Shoelessone,

Mon, der be alotta ilanz down der! Which ones u going to? You bareboating? On the average, you'll pay approx 20 to 35% more for lots of things. Some may be about the same.

Try this link for helpful info on both locations (click link to "main index" and then go to USVI). Also, the more specific your questions are, the more helpful your answers will be. We got tons of valuable info for our VI vacations the past 2 summers from this website, and also made some new friends:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=bvi

Cheers!

shoelessone:
My family is going to the USVI and BVI for a week, and there are going to be 7 of us. eating out every morning/night is not an option, as that would add another grand to our trips cost, and its not worth it to us. So, we would like to shop at grocerie stores while on our trip.

My question is, what place should we shop for regular groceries? (looking for cheap prices)

Also, about how much does the food cost over there in comparison to a mainland grocerie store?

Thanks for the help!
on st.croix there are plenty of grocery stores spread through out the island. you should have no problem finding them.just be ready for some sticker shock .
have fun geo

Back
Top Bottom