Looking for advice on dual purpose SMB/Safety sausage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I want a single device that I can use as a safety sausage in case I get lost at sea and as an SMB so that I can do a drifting safety stop and keep roving boats from turning me into chum when I surface. Therefore, I want something that I can inflate at depth but, at the same time, top-off orally at the surface.

I've been doing my research and I believe I need either a semi-closed unit (if I understand correctly, this has an open bottom with a one-way valve to keep air from leaking out) or a closed unit with an adapter for a low-pressure inflator. As far as I can tell, the semi-closed ones (like the Carter personal float) would be more expensive but would be easier to inflate at depth. Both should have an oral inflate tube and an overpressure valve.

So this leads me to the following questions:

1) Is it reasonable to get a single device that does both jobs?
2) Exactly what is the configuration of a low-pressure inflator adaptor? I haven't seen a picture of one.
3) How hard is it to inflate an SMB using a low-pressure inflator?
4) Is there anything else I should be asking about this subject?

Thanks, all!

I have the Zeagle one and use it for both purposes as well. I use it virtually every dive.

WadeGuthrie:
Okay, I want a single device that I can use as a safety sausage in case I get lost at sea and as an SMB so that I can do a drifting safety stop and keep roving boats from turning me into chum when I surface. Therefore, I want something that I can inflate at depth but, at the same time, top-off orally at the surface.

I've been doing my research and I believe I need either a semi-closed unit (if I understand correctly, this has an open bottom with a one-way valve to keep air from leaking out) or a closed unit with an adapter for a low-pressure inflator. As far as I can tell, the semi-closed ones (like the Carter personal float) would be more expensive but would be easier to inflate at depth. Both should have an oral inflate tube and an overpressure valve.

So this leads me to the following questions:

1) Is it reasonable to get a single device that does both jobs?
2) Exactly what is the configuration of a low-pressure inflator adaptor? I haven't seen a picture of one.
3) How hard is it to inflate an SMB using a low-pressure inflator?
4) Is there anything else I should be asking about this subject?

Thanks, all!

Carter lift-bags makes a tall "safety sausage" with a 100 lb lift capacity. It has an overpressure valve and will not dump its air on the surface if it is turned over.

Try: www.carterbag.com

As for the low-pressure inflator, people usually just hold their octo under the bag, hit the purge valve, and put some air in that way.

Triton, and Global both sell the low-pressure inflators, which look like the air fill chucks at old-time filling stations, and fit on the end of your BCD inflator hose. :D

I currently use a Carter lift bag for what you describe.I dump air from my BcD into the bag to maintain bouyancy.Hook it to a reel and send it up.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I guess I do have one more question. Since it looks like the Zeagle deluxe tube is larger than will fit in a BCD pocket, where do you mount this? I was thinking on my tank strap but I'm not sure.

Thanks, again!

Wade,

Putting your SMB and spool in a thigh pocket works best. These can be installed on either drysuits or wetsuits.

There are other options (besides leaving the things dangling off your rig), which include pockets placed on tank cam bands, X-shorts, or some divers attach them to their camera housings or scooters. In general, however, cleaner is better. Seek to avoid convoluted attachments which leave either your SMB or spool hanging free anywhere, as they tend to become line magnets and eventually will entangle, snag, unspool, or otherwise bring you grief.

Best,

Doc

....I'm still shopping for one of these....anyone know where I can pickup that Zeagle online? I searched and didnt come up with anything except what looks like an older model with only the oral inflator valve. I'd just prefer to get the right one the first time around...

Yeah, that's the one I found. Doesnt look like it has the purge valve on the side and nothing mentioned about the duck-bill valve at the bottom so I'm assuming it doesnt have it.

Not much info on the Zeagle site, either.

I may just get the one from DAN, seems like a decent one.
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/catalog/products/641-1000.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom