Looking for advice on buying a semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMdotcom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'm currently living Barcelona and looking to purchase a semi-dry. Please could you provide some help on choosing the right product.

Due to lack of space, I'm looking a semi-dry that can be used throughout the year, when diving in the Med.

The 2 semi-dry's that have been suggested to me, are as follows:

1) iDry - "Quick-Dry" Semidry 5mm by Probe (haven't seen or heard of this product before)

2) Scubapro Novascotia 4mm (this is the 6.5mm. Besides difference in thickness, the 4mm does't have the attached pocket on the right leg)

Other suggestions are welcome, these are just what have been suggested to me by local suppliers.

Looking to make my purchase by Thursday this week 13/03/2014, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
JMdotcom

Semi-dry is semi-wet. Any reason why you don't just skip to the end-game and go dry?

My advice is don't, if it's cold enough to contemplate a semi "dry" it's cold enough to go completely dry. A "decent" semi dry is not much cheaper than some drysuits.

Hi TravisD and buddhasummer,

My preference would be a drysuit for winter and a wetsuit for summer, unfortunately the place I'm living in is tiny, hence me looking for something in the middle that's a good all rounder.

The water temperatures here in the Mediterranean are quite warm and don't really drop below 14 degrees C in winter, with highs of around 24 degrees in summer. The summers here can also be quite toasty with air temperatures on land just under 40 degrees C and with humidity reaching about 60 percent so drysuit diving in the summer could be a bit of a challenge.

24°C water isn't that warm, IMO. Get a membrane type suit and you can adjust the undergarments to suit. If you wear a wicking layer only, it's not going to be any warmer than diving wet really. A membrane suit will also dry quickly, and might not stink up the joint as bad as a wetsuit.

40°C on the surface isn't going to be pleasant in any kind of suit though.

Semi dry is similar to being a little bit pregnant, you either are or you aren't.

I have a Waterproof "Combat" Semidry and it has been a great suit. I usually only get wet up to my elbow, the core dry during normal diving. The only exception is if I am with students, in the training environment I am twisting my head around more than just diving for myself.. I commonly dive it down to low 50s F in the great lakes... I had a "quick dry" suit in the past, I would steer clear of it, they seem to lack the flexibility and stretch of standard neoprene..

My advice is don't, if it's cold enough to contemplate a semi "dry" it's cold enough to go completely dry. A "decent" semi dry is not much cheaper than some drysuits.

I dont agree with the above statement.
I got a very decent semi dry by Seacsub and the difference was significant compared to the price of a dry suit made by the same company (about 200 EURO - approx 270 USD).
The reason I am mentioning Seacsub is because I think its a more than decent semi dry, and the only one I have tried and speak of.

I see that you are located in Barcelona, Spain.

Checkout Casco Antiguo | Tienda Online De Buceo
( I bought several things from them and I am very happy with their service and ESPECIALLY with their prices). They even have a local store in Barcelona (they advertise 2 shops in Barcelona).

They have semi dry suits starting from 520 (EUR not a major brand) then 670 for a Scubapro and then 765 for Ndiver dry suit.
Casco Antiguo | Tienda Online De Buceo

Or you can opt for the semi dry suits offered for:
Casco Antiguo | Tienda Online De Buceo

Non major brand for 210
Cressi 270
SP Nova Scotia 6.5 for 359

My suggestion is visit this shop online and if you find something you like then compare it with other online stores to see if there is a difference in price.

Also I would walk in to one of their stores and see if they have any new "old stock" suits that they might be willing to sell to you for low price in order to get rid of it.
Or they might even pick up the phone and ask the rest of their shops if they have anything that suits you.

Another plus is that you can actually go there and try it on before you buy it. Just call before hand and make sure they have in stock the suits that you want to try on.
Based on the store locator on their website they have 13 different physical locations.

Heck you might even make some friends or ask if you can dive with them on their next trip.

Just visit cascoantiguo and check out their prices.

You let us know how it went.

Regards,

Vangelis

I am diving in Aegean sea + Mediterranean + Black Sea and lakes in Turkey. Never suggest you a waterproof Taurus or Taurus Combat for Mediterranean. You can just use these suits only in winter times not more than 4 months. Their seals are excellent and you cant get any refreshing water in to the suit if you roll the seals. And during summer time never want to see that suit if I will dive in Med or Aegean sea. But in lakes even summer time the temp down 40 metres between 4 and 7 Celcious Cantigrates. So dont suggest you Waterproof Taurus if you are diving in Med Sea and frequently. In anyway thats a great suit for really cold waters. Suggest Scubapro Nova Scotia, Oceanic or some models of BARE.. And as Gurnie mentioned please try to find flex neopren.

GT-N7100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom