Looking for a new primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Cdncoldwater

I have two of the CX1 now since I did the original post last year. Work great as my backup lights. Even decently bright in a low viz mine where I dive, but nothing compared with the LX20 that’s now my primary.

The CX1 with the hand mount is my primary backup. I have that on my right shoulder (above D ring) with the hand mount so it’s very easy to grab if I need it (other backup is in a pocket).

@Cdncoldwater

I have two of the CX1 now since I did the original post last year. Work great as my backup lights. Even decently bright in a low viz mine where I dive, but nothing compared with the LX20 that’s now my primary.

The CX1 with the hand mount is my primary backup. I have that on my right shoulder (above D ring) with the hand mount so it’s very easy to grab if I need it (other backup is in a pocket).

sadly the cx1 is discontinued

I have had a 600 lumen I Torch that uses 3 AAA batteries forever and want to upgrade. I have been looking at Big Blue and Sola 2000 lumen and up lights with rechargeable batteries. The Big Blue lights are cheaper than the Sola and since we pay 25% more up here price is some what of a concern.
Is there any advantage to one over the other? I'm open to other recommendations also?

Have you looked at the Xtar D26 1600? Very bright with a 26650 battery. 3 different settings and easy to use. 6" long. I love it. Very dependable and very well made.

Have you looked at the Xtar D26 1600? Very bright with a 26650 battery. 3 different settings and easy to use. 6" long. I love it. Very dependable and very well made.
D710 is also out, 3000 lumens 21700 battery

D710 is also out, 3000 lumens 21700 battery
It only claims to put out that brightness when you’re holding down the button and no burn time is specified for the capacity when at that brightness.

I have 2 of the D26 1600 and 2 of the D26 Whale (1100).

I only use the 1100s anymore (for cordless lights). The difference in brightness is almost indiscernible. But, the 1100 never turns on by accident, thanks to the mechanical quarter-turn lock. The 1600s turn on by accident frequently, because their lock is electronic and you only have to hold the button down for a few seconds to unlock it.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the alarmist posts about big blue batteries exploding. .

Those were the canister lights.

There's a reason why BB doesn't sell them anymore.

Cordless lights are fine.

Those were the canister lights.

There's a reason why BB doesn't sell them anymore.

Cordless lights are fine.

from exploding probably but not from the root cause which was battery failure due to poor battery and charger quality. The cordless lights that don’t use a single cell are just as prone to failure since they haven’t changed anything on that front.

from exploding probably but not from the root cause which was battery failure due to poor battery and charger quality. The cordless lights that don’t use a single cell are just as prone to failure since they haven’t changed anything on that front.
So less risk of one blowing up sending shrapnel that makes a hole through your leg?

So less risk of one blowing up sending shrapnel that makes a hole through your leg?

the reason it exploded was because they were negligent when designing the canister and failed to provide the legally required pressure relief device so it literally became a pipe bomb. Getting rid of the canisters means that the handhelds have a pressure relief device in the lens, but it does not mean they are any less likely to have catastrophic battery failure. The battery failed because of poor quality components and those have not been changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom