• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Looking for a new primary light?

Discussion in 'Lights' started by Ontwreckdiver, Apr 8, 2020.

1. O-ring

O-ring Beyond the Pale ScubaBoard Supporter

I feel your pain.. still using my Helios 18/9. The battery isn't what it was and I am down to one remaining spare bulb so figured I ought to start looking around.

2. Degenerate

Degenerate DIR Practitioner

Surprised that you were unimpressed with the Focus to be honest.
    I used to have a NLS 40W Super spot which was an amazing primary light in every way, definitely superior to Nanight which has been mentioned a couple times in this thread already.
    First time I dove with a guy who had the Focus was the first time I felt like my light could be better.
    Now I've downgraded to a Halcyon Flare Exp to get rid of the canister and yeah, it puts out less light than my NLS and definitely less than the Focus but I don't have to deal with a cable/canister and it still does the business well enough for me.
    Always admired the performance of the Focus, IMO it is an amazing light but it definitely comes at a cost that is not worth it for some, and there are other alternatives that will also perform incredibly well.

3. Traveling nomad

Traveling nomad Registered

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If it's within your budget, have a look at UWLD. Best light I have used, excellent build quality.

tbone1004 likes this.
  4. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    what drove you to the focus 2.0? What are you looking for in a light that made you narrow it down to that one?

5. O-ring

It's blue...and expensive. Oh, it also has an "H" on it.

6. tbone1004

the UWLD LD-40 is also blue and expensive....

7. O-ring

Oooh...thanks, I like it already. My requirements are pretty simple - fish retina searing power, prefer canister/cord, must be able to fly with it. Basically just an updated 18/9.

8. Cdncoldwater

Cdncoldwater Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Which hand mount? I just got a very good deal on a CX1 but want a hand mount.

9. tbone1004

I think you'll like it, @Bobby hit a home run with the older generations, but the new generation has 15% more power and a tighter beam angle. You will notice a less defined hotspot compared to the Halcyon lights, but it is retina searing

O-ring likes this.
  10. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    DR had one that was specifically for the CX1. It doesn’t look like it’s available any longer. I would just get their quick mounting stuff and use that.

Cdncoldwater likes this.