Looking for a new knife and mounting option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you guys use for shears? I gave up on them a long time ago, rust too fast and unreliable.

I don't agree. Shears are far more useful and less dangerous than a knife, IMHO. I carry a shears on my webbing and a Trilobite on my computer wrist bungee.

In addition to being very useful for topside work like trimming bungee cord or zip ties, shears will cut line underwater very easily (the main reason I carry a cutting device), even if it isn't under tension and just floating around. Putting any sort of firm pressure on a blade puts you at risk for injury or damage to your gear (ask me how I know where to get a tetanus shot in Cozumel!).

As far as rusting goes, I guess after a season or two the little pivot pin starts to rust if you don't take care of it, so that's another $3.29 a year that you have to include in your diving budget. Or, you could spring for the titanium ones if you like...

As far as rusting goes, I guess after a season or two the little pivot pin starts to rust if you don't take care of it, so that's another $3.29 a year that you have to include in your diving budget. Or, you could spring for the titanium ones if you like...
I've heard some folks drill out the rivet and replace it with a better stainless one, which would be a pretty straightforward operation (i've fabbed & peened hundreds, probably thousands, of rivets in my time).

Nit - those aren't actually titanium, they are 440 stainless with a titanium nitride coating.

I've heard some folks drill out the rivet and replace it with a better stainless one, which would be a pretty straightforward operation (i've fabbed & peened hundreds, probably thousands, of rivets in my time).

That's a good idea!

I don't agree. Shears are far more useful and less dangerous than a knife, IMHO. I carry a shears on my webbing and a Trilobite on my computer wrist bungee.

In addition to being very useful for topside work like trimming bungee cord or zip ties, shears will cut line underwater very easily (the main reason I carry a cutting device), even if it isn't under tension and just floating around. Putting any sort of firm pressure on a blade puts you at risk for injury or damage to your gear (ask me how I know where to get a tetanus shot in Cozumel!).

I have no problem with shears, just never found a pair that works for me. Part of the problem is that I am left handed, and never found a pair of left handed shears. I'm cutting mostly in 0 visibility, and trout nets are all over the place over here. I find that when I'm cutting with shears, the material I'm trying to cut wedges between the blades instead of cutting (left handed scissor problem x underwater x 0 vis ), this wears that stupid pin out and allows the blades to come further apart, making the problem worse. Combine that with 0 vis, and they're a bit unwieldy and ineffective.

Also, I do take care of my diving equipment, especially my cutting devices. They see a lot of hard use, though, and if they're not tough they just fall apart. My trilobite still looks new, has a sharp blade and is my go to tool. My knife is years old and sharp. Shears just never seem to last. I'll have to have a look at the titanium ones. Unfortunately nobody around here carries them, and I'd like to see them before I buy them.

I have no problem with shears, just never found a pair that works for me. Part of the problem is that I am left handed, and never found a pair of left handed shears.

Try these! Left-Handed EMT Shears

They are $9.50, I guess that left handed EMT's are too small a market for a volume discount.

Seriously, if you like them, the maintenance thing really shouldn't be an issue. Yes, you can clean, dry and oil them, but in a hobby where we spend $1500 on a flashlight, probably OK to just replace them once or twice a season...

M

Try these! Left-Handed EMT Shears

They are $9.50, I guess that left handed EMT's are too small a market for a volume discount.

Seriously, if you like them, the maintenance thing really shouldn't be an issue. Yes, you can clean, dry and oil them, but in a hobby where we spend $1500 on a flashlight, probably OK to just replace them once or twice a season...

M

I was about to suggest reversing a normal pair (requiring a new pin & a re-grinding the cutting edges) but this is an infinitely better answer.

What do you guys use for shears? I gave up on them a long time ago, rust too fast and unreliable.

Sorry, didn't see this til now. We use Sea Snips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom