Looking for a new knife and mounting option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff816

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Our team currently has our knives mounted to our Air2 hoses. This has become an issue for several reasons. We want to replace our knives with a mid size blunt tip that can be mounted to the BCD is some fashion. We are currently thinking of mounting them horizontaly to the cumberbund. I am not having a lot of luck with google finding something to accomplish our wishes. We do not need/want a large knife, but these little mini things wont cut it either (pun intended). We need something that will be useful and comfortable in a kevlar gloved hand and be able to function as in all manners as a dive knife (tool) should. Any ideas/suggestions out there?

My recommendation is to find a knife that will work and modify the cummerbund. It could be as simple as using the area of the knife sheath that the leg straps go through and run large plastic zip ties through properly placed holes in the cummerbund. Selecting the best tool for the job should be primary taking into account how to mount it.

Although it won't work for prying or cutting large things, I carry one of these Eezycut - Diving, fishing, and emergency cutting tool as my backup cutter. The blade is replacable, omg sharp, and the opening is not large enough to fit a hose into. It's easy to attach, just about anywhere, and can be used and stowed with gloved hands. I carry mine on my chest strap, it's great for cutting lines that are entangled in your first stage.

I've not found a good, heavy blunt tip knife that fits well on a cumberbund. I keep a small, pointy knife there. I keep a large, Rambo blunt tip on my calf for heavy work, but almost never use it.

Our team carries shears, Eezycut, and an OMS titanium line cutter. All three are placed on the BC, right chest harness, right waist harness, and left waist harness.

What do you guys use for shears? I gave up on them a long time ago, rust too fast and unreliable.

Our team currently has our knives mounted to our Air2 hoses. This has become an issue for several reasons. We want to replace our knives with a mid size blunt tip that can be mounted to the BCD is some fashion. We are currently thinking of mounting them horizontaly to the cumberbund. I am not having a lot of luck with google finding something to accomplish our wishes. We do not need/want a large knife, but these little mini things wont cut it either (pun intended). We need something that will be useful and comfortable in a kevlar gloved hand and be able to function as in all manners as a dive knife (tool) should. Any ideas/suggestions out there?

Jeff816,

I have used this approach with my Scubapro Stab Jacket since the late 1980's, when I purchased my first SSJ (orange). An instructor friend who continues to use this approach, showed it to me. This approach continues to work extremely well for me with my "new" (purchased c. 1993) SSJ.

The sheath is attached at the top (as pictured) using wreck line. (Initially used a single cable tie. Then two cable ties. Now wreck line.) Waist strap runs through the bottom (as pictured) of the sheath.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

StreamlineYourBCD_20110526c_lg.jpgStreamlineYourBCD_20110526e_lg.jpg
StreamlineYourBCD_20110526a_lg.jpgStreamlineYourBCD_20110526d_lg.jpg
StreamlineYourBCD_20110526b_lg.jpgStreamlineYourBCD_20110526f_lg.jpg
StreamlineYourBCD_20110526g_lg.jpgStreamlineYourBCD_20110526h_lg.jpg

Last edited:
I carry knife on the left pocket on my BCD and shears on the right shoulder strap. I think the knife would meet your specs - it's not a giant thing at all but it's big enough. The handle is under the SPG in this pic.

y6azygah.jpg

Back
Top Bottom