Looking for a good frameless masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that fit and comfort are first.

I wasn't saying I wouldn't pay. I was just saying it would have been nice if the $25 mask would have worked. That's all.

I will be going to my local dive shop and looking around soon. Just to see what's out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya, I too would rather have paid less than the $150 NZD IIRC I did for the Atomic but as it fits like a glove I soon forgot the price :D

---------- Post added June 15th, 2015 at 07:09 AM ----------

I reckon I spent must be close to a grand trying to find a mask that didn't hurt or leak. They all fitted well in the shop, I even tried most on with a mouthpiece in my mouth but as soon as I hit the water all went south. It was most frustrating, ruined many a dive. Praise be to Atomic.

The Hollis M1 mask has a great fit too. That was my choice. But like everyone here has said, we all have different shape and size faces. Take a trip to your LDS. I spent some time just fitting different masks to my face in the store before I finally decided on one. My dive buddy tried the hollis mask and hates it, he went with atomic. Good luck!

Go find a Diver's Direct or another LDS and try everything. I have a very narrow face and have always thought masks were just supposed to weep/leak as being a normal thing. Finally found a Cressi low volume free-dive mask that is now dry more often than not. Didn't know what I was missing but again, didn't bother me too much as I didn't know better. my forehead is way happier and the post dive snot rocket isn't as bad.

The Atomic Framless is as close as a universal fit as there can be. Peoples faces, on average, really are not that different but there are those who are quite different of course or have facial hair or Neanderthal DNA. I use the Atomic Framless, SP Framless and a quality copy of the SPF I bought from Vintage Double Hose store and a Mares X Vision and a Squale oval and an Omar Alien and in fact most fit me fine.

I disagree as usual about the fit being the only consideration as their is a wide variation in the glass, buckles and durability of masks though not strictly correlated to price. A mask that fits but has poor buckles is no good either.

N

Hi J.Wal,

re: your 20’ statement. I just don’t understand why it wouldn’t hurt at shallower depths, unless you were (as evad first suggested) experiencing mask squeeze.
As long as the pressure inside your mask is equalized to ambient, a mask should fit the same at all depths. Maybe it’s premature to give up on your existing mask.
(Or maybe someone has another explanation of why it didn't hurt until you went deeper.)

k

I wasn't saying I wouldn't pay. I was just saying it would have been nice if the $25 mask would have worked. That's all.

The best way to waste a lot of money in scuba diving is by chasing good deals.

I love my Hog Razorbak, reportedly leaks with narrow faces, but I have not had any of those issues.. I have a couple spares too as I like it so much..

Fits your $25 budget, via DRIS.. don't think the quality is reflected in the price.. it's worth twice the money..

J.Wal,

By any chance is the $25 mask that you found uncomfortable a HOG? If so, I found the exact same thing, it pressed on the bridge of my nose at depth. I tried everything from equalizing to flooding/clearing, it just wasn't comfortable. Earlier this year I bought the DiveRite ES-155 and LOVE it, I've been diving with it ever since and will be getting another as a back-up.

Back
Top Bottom