Looking for a Cheap but good backup computer to Teric as Primary.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. That is my plan short getting a backup. Do you bring a backup? How many of you all dive with a backup?

I've been diving with a backup computer since 2006, 1966 dives. In that time, I've needed my backup computer for 2 dives, 0.1%. This was my fault, as I let the battery in my primary computer go dead.

I dived a backup SPG to 1 AI computer from 2010 until 2019. I still dive the SPG but added a 2nd AI computer. Both AI computers run off a single transmitter. In those 1686 dives, I have used the SPG on 12 dives, 0.7%. Six of those were my fault, the 2 dead battery in my primary computer, 2 dead battery in the transmitter, and 2 dives where I forgot to transfer the transmitter to another reg set I was using. Six were not my fault, 5 transmitter failure and one where I had to borrow a reg set on a boat because my 1st stage was leaking badly from the ambient chamber.

So, I've not used a backup computer or SPG many times but have never lost a single minute of diving. It could have had much more impact had I been without backup on one of my liveaboard trips or on a more remote land-based trip. I have no intention of changing my current setup, you never know :)

Yeah. That is my plan short getting a backup. Do you bring a back up? How many of you all dive with a backup?
what does the LDS charge for a rental fee for a computer? $10 may be ok for a bit, $30 starts to add up quick to the cost of a computer. Do the have a something that you would possibly consider for a back up? Will they credit rental fees towards a future purchase?

as MaxE mentioned, i have a deep 6 excursion as a backup as well. it's easy to use, good matching algorithm, and good idle battery life which is nice for a backup.
looks like the price has gone up though? not sure i'd get another one at the current price.
even with trimix and settable GFs values?

even with trimix and settable GFs values?
I'm just a humble rec diver so far, and it seems like OP is in the same boat.

that said, even with this software update that's coming, knowing myself (weakness for buying gear) i'll buy a perdix as soon as I start tech training, which i'm sure will be soon enough once I get a bit more experience.

yes both will come in a future software update. in November they said it would be available in January but is not here yet. though the trimix will be a extra 75 dollars for the update.
pinged Landon and will respond when he does to me.

I'm just a humble rec diver so far, and it seems like OP is in the same boat.

that said, even with this software update that's coming, knowing myself (weakness for buying gear) i'll buy a perdix as soon as I start tech training, which i'm sure will be soon enough once I get a bit more experience.
Sure, but he already has a Teric. A bit of overkill for a rec computer, but I'm guessing he enjoys the AI capability. In his case, the programmable GFs is the more important feature.

There are some enhancements to the UI that people are really going to like.

I don't think I'd buy a cheap backup computer. I'd wait until I had money in hand for something I like now and will like in the future. Matching algorithms simplify your life. I use a Garmin Descent Mk1 that has worked well and is very useful as a "sports" watch.

Yeah. That is my plan short getting a backup. Do you bring a back up? How many of you all dive with a backup?
I do, but only because I'm too lazy to take it off my SPG/computer/compass manifold. It's a Suunto Zoop. A DM in Grand Cayman said that it is a little more liberal if you put it on nitrox 21% instead of air, but I think someone on here disputed that claim by running a simulation. I don't know how to run a simulation, and really can't be bothered. It's more conservative than my Perdix, so I feel like it's a decent fallback if my Perdix dies mid-dive.

as MaxE mentioned, i have a deep 6 excursion as a backup as well. it's easy to use, good matching algorithm, and good idle battery life which is nice for a backup.
looks like the price has gone up though? not sure i'd get another one at the current price.
If I recall correctly, the Tech Lite upgrade is included at no additional cost, whether that was the previous price, or the current price of $350. I believe Tech Lite upgrade is to include custom GF, 3 gas, gas switch, hopefully a normal deco display. In other words, an advanced computer, useful for advanced nitrox and decompression procedures or similar. This would be the equivalent of the Peregrine, minus the large color display and many of the Shearwater elective displays, Surf GF, tissue graph, GF99... I believe the Tech Lite upgrade was initially scheduled for December, with the Tech upgrade in January. Apparently. there have been some unanticipated delays. Many of us look forward to seeing reviews of the Tech Lite upgrade, it would put the computer into a category of its own at the modest price.

just look for a used shearwater, anything else you will have to compromise on ease of use/screen/etc. with how good support from shearwater and divetronix is, getting a used one is not an issue like with other brands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom