Looking at tech. Style fins need help deciding which fin is best for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am needing new fins. I am wanting a Tech. style fin in hopes it will propel me through the water better than my old Scuba Pro Jetfins. I have a small foot, and that means all the fins in my size has a small blade. The problem with the small blade is I feel it does not propel me good enough against a current. Just because a person has a small foot does not mean they dont need a good size blade on the fin. The fins I considering is Dive Rite EXP, OMS Slipstream, and maybe the Hollis fins I forget there names.

Well, as you know, I love my Slipstreams. If I remember, unfortunately they were too big for you to try effectively. The Hollis you are referring to is the F1 and I've heard good things about them.
When I need another pair, I'm going to try the F1s. Since my Slipstreams and Jets appear they will last forever, I may be too old to dive by then.

I looked at OMS's website and they dont offer the Slipstream in a small. It is a shame fin manufactures dont take in consideration us circus freaks with small feet. We like good fins as well.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the scubapro jets you currently have, in fact I know a few tec divers who swear by the Scuba pro jets.
Your best bet is to try various styles out, before dumping a bunch of money into gear you dont like or doesnt fit the need, I understand the difficulty in finding small sizes, but I have managed to accumulate quite a collection of gear that I dont like for one reason or another.
You might also consider the Force Fins, not my personal favorite, but many people swear by them, and they do have smaller sizes.

Well if you find an answer, let me know! I looked at the Hollis and the OMS fins, both, trying to find something that would stay on my feet (when wearing turbosoles) better than Large Jets... and couldn't find anything. Much less anything with a bigger blade, which I would *love* to have, since everyone I dive with dives XL's.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the scubapro jets you currently have, in fact I know a few tec divers who swear by the Scuba pro jets.

I bet they love them because they have a normal size foot. My Jets from the tip of the blade to the toe section of the foot pocket is somewhere around 7.25 in. if memory serves me correct. The normal to larger sizes have a biger blade. I am curious to see if anyone with the Dive Rite EXP lets me know something.

I went from L Jets to the Dive Rite EXPs for just this reason. I really like them. The blade is longer but the fin is lighter. It seems easier to move them through the water, and I get more thrust.

I went from L Jets to the Dive Rite EXPs for just this reason. I really like them. The blade is longer but the fin is lighter. It seems easier to move them through the water, and I get more thrust.

Did you get a large in EXP? If Dive Rite makes a small that will be the size I will need. Dive Rites website did not list sizes. The Hollis F1 has the same length of blade as my Jets.

Did you get a large in EXP? If Dive Rite makes a small that will be the size I will need. Dive Rites website did not list sizes. The Hollis F1 has the same length of blade as my Jets.

the EXP comes in Small through Extra Large. I got the sizing info from Dive Gear Express

Fin
Size
US Shoe Size
MenWomen
SmallUp to 6Up to 7
Medium7 - 98 - 10
Large10 - 1211 - 13
X Large13 and Up14 and Up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom