Looking at ScubaPro...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to take this oppertunity to brown nose to the moderator. When looking at something like regs, it is important to do your homework. It is really easy to say oh I didn't know that or something that will piss you off later.
I agree with DA... when it comes to regs you can make anything the way you like it...
DA Aquamaster:
It is not marketed that way, but your dealer can order a Mk 16 with an R190 second stage and in that case the cost difference falls to only about $30 over the cost of a Mk 2 R190.
For the difference you will get a huge performance boost over the MK2. I think that what you are thinking of with the piston versus diaphragm is the flow through piston, not the unbalanced that is the MK2. $30 well spent I think. It will definetely take a while to outgrow the MK16. I would agree that you should stick with Scubapro because of your location and serviceability. Don't be phased by people that try to coax you into their reg, because it will always be the best in their opinion. Otherwise they wouldn't have got it right?
But Why are you so hung up on piston regs.

I am new to diving and I am in the process of helping establish a search and recovery team with the fire department I work for. The question I was wanting to ask is this, if money was not a factor and you wear diving murky water in the 50 – 80 degree temp range, what reg and bc would you buy. We are looking at the scubapro mk25/x650 reg and either the knighthawk or rec tec bc. Any input will be greatly appreciated

I have helped rig up a Police dive team, and they were diving in some pretty crappy water. For the most part (depending on the locations where they are most likely to search ponds and streams vs. deep bays or lakes) they don't need something too high peroformance. So it depends on where you are. I would definetely recommend something environmentally sealed instead of the scubapro. It doesn't have to be top of the line, just a workhorse. An apeks ATX40might be a consideration.

As far as BCD's go, they usually like as little bulk as possible. As they will be carrying recovered bodies and the like you have to give them space. As I am sure you have heard in the BCD forum, I would say backplate and harness. It is vertually non-existant on the front giving lots of working room.

But like I said this could be changed depending on the conditions they dive in. Give some more info.

Hi Mate,

I used the MK25 T.I.S and G250 HP, too. For a period of one and a half year everything has been all right, but then the problems begun when I've been in cold water.
Now I can say that I do not trust in Scubapro regulators anymore! Also if you are only diving in warm water regions there will be a lower temperature in the deep. So I can only recommend regulators like the APEKS TX or ATX (40) 50 or 100. with two divided 1st. stages.

f&rdiver241:
I am new to diving and I am in the process of helping establish a search and recovery team with the fire department I work for. The question I was wanting to ask is this, if money was not a factor and you wear diving murky water in the 50 – 80 degree temp range, what reg and bc would you buy. We are looking at the scubapro mk25/x650 reg and either the knighthawk or rec tec bc. Any input will be greatly appreciated

The shop I work with has provided equipment to several dive rescue squads. For the most part they go with the Mk 2 or Mk 16 rather than the Mk 25.

As indicated above most of the diving is shallow and in potentially dirty environments and a great deal of performance is not really required. In this area at least, a Mk 25 is normally a waste as most of the members on most of the rescue squads are out of their element on deep dives and are not well trained or equipped to deal with deep water recoveries.

Dive rescue squads also tend to use full face masks to enable the use of comm equipment and the increased flow rates associated with full face masks really aggravate the MK 25's freeflow tendencies in cold water.

The Mk 2 scores points for having 1 moving part, only 2 HP o-rings (both of them static), and no high pressure areas past the seat so there is very little to go wrong. They are super simple, will stand up well to the abuse most dive teams dish out and are great regs in cold water. The TIS kit is inadequate for the Mk 25 but works very well on the Mk 2 due to it's lower flow rate. Divers in this area use them routinely ice diving with zero problems with freezeups.

The Mk 16 socres points for better performance and for a balanced design that makes for a lighter breathing second stage through out the dive. It is a diaphragm design and while the ambient area is not sealed it is very open which provides excellent heat transfer and makes it virtually impossible to trap dirt, water etc. The Mk 16 is also a excellent cold water reg.

The S-tek makes more sense than the Knighthawk. The S-tek is basically a copy of the original Dive Rite Transpac and offers the advantage of interchageble aircells and a cleaner and more technically oriented approach. SP used to sell an X-tec harness that incorporated a real live backplate but discontinued it.

I would agree that if possible a backplate and wing makes the most sense. But if you are using a local dealer and SP is the only way to go, I'd go with the S-tec harness.

rescuediver009:
I would agree that you should stick with Scubapro because of your location and serviceability. Don't be phased by people that try to coax you into their reg, because it will always be the best in their opinion. Otherwise they wouldn't have got it right?
Scubapro used to be the "golden boy" with the GUE crowd but there was some political bickering that occured with the result that Apeks is now the "chosen one".

In truth both companies make great regs and both will do the job very well, but Apeks fans don't usually present it that way. I agree that in the end you will be far better off getting a reg that you can get support and service for locally.

Thanks for the input, but let me restate my question. If you were a search and recovery diver, diving in murky water in the 50-80 degree temp range and money was not an issue. Which reg setup would you buy? We will be diving ponds lakes and rivers. We really want to have good equipment, so for us the quality is more important than the price.

Again Thanks for the input,
Eric

rescuediver009:
I have to take this oppertunity to brown nose to the moderator. When looking at something like regs, it is important to do your homework. It is really easy to say oh I didn't know that or something that will piss you off later.
I agree with DA... when it comes to regs you can make anything the way you like it...

For the difference you will get a huge performance boost over the MK2. I think that what you are thinking of with the piston versus diaphragm is the flow through piston, not the unbalanced that is the MK2. $30 well spent I think. It will definetely take a while to outgrow the MK16. I would agree that you should stick with Scubapro because of your location and serviceability. Don't be phased by people that try to coax you into their reg, because it will always be the best in their opinion. Otherwise they wouldn't have got it right?
But Why are you so hung up on piston regs.

I suppose I'm hung up on piston regs because I have heard/read that for warm water diving they are the preferred choice. I can't seem to find why though. I would appreciate you enlightening me. :D

I currently use the Mk25/S600 setups. I also have several other types of regs. While I have heard of S600s freeflowing when cold, I have neither seen nor experienced it. I have taken mine to 115' in 41F degree water. They also breath better than my other regs.
There may be better regs out there but I am more that happy with the MK25\S600s.

TT :wink:

DA Aquamaster:
...Apeks is now the "chosen one".

In truth both companies make great regs and both will do the job very well, but Apeks fans don't usually present it that way. I agree that in the end you will be far better off getting a reg that you can get support and service for locally.
And to think that I am an Apeks guy....

uberspeed:
I suppose I'm hung up on piston regs because I have heard/read that for warm water diving they are the preferred choice. I can't seem to find why though. I would appreciate you enlightening me. :D

Don't get me wrong, I am not the one to enlighten anyone, I just enjoy the discussion. But there are pros and cons to each design:
Flowthrough pistons give an unmatched flow rate
Balanced pistons are stupidly simple and rarely malfunction
Blanced Diaphragms give you a quick response and easy WOB

It will only spark and endless debate. And because one reg is of a certain construction does not automatically make it better than the other reg of a different construction. Make your choice on serviceability, reliability, reputation and of course performance. Bottom line do not get the reg because the other guy said it was best...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom