Looking at low-cost home compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Seeking to purchase a low-cost home compressor for our (wife and I) tank fills for weekend dive outings. Looking to stay below $3k if possible and was wondering if anyone can elaborate on the following Max-Air Compressor sold at Leisure Pro for less than $3k.

Does anyone have any experience with such? I admit I know little about compressors other than quality of filtered air is extremely important, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Does this comp have enough power to realistically fill AL80's ok?

4.2 scfm** * Fills an 80cft tank in approx 20 min*
• Truly portable at only 85 lbs (38 kg)
• Dimensions: Length 28" x Depth 13" x Height 15"
• Mounted on a durable powder coated steel frame with convenient carry handles.
• Reliable 5.5hp Honda® gasoline engine or electric motor.
• Oil/water separating chambers (manual drains)
• Tri-chem breathing air purification system with activated carbon/molecular sieve/hopcalite.
• Disposable purification cartridge is convenient and easy to replace.
• Pressure maintaining valve for optimum air processing.
• Final pressure relief valve.
• Digital hour/tachometer standard on gasoline model only.
• Intake filter.
• Oil filled pressure gauge 0 5800psi/400bar.
• Filling hose with on/off valve*push button bleed (SCUBA yoke or DIN300)
• 12 oz. Max-Air 101 synthetic compressor oil.
• 12 oz. break-in oil.

PS Are they ANY books available that I can purchase to gain additional knowledge on the subject of scuba compressors, features, etc?

ScoobieDooo:
Seeking to purchase a low-cost home compressor for our (wife and I) tank fills for weekend dive outings. Looking to stay below $3k if possible and was wondering if anyone can elaborate on the following Max-Air Compressor sold at Leisure Pro for less than $3k.

Does anyone have any experience with such? I admit I know little about compressors other than quality of filtered air is extremely important, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Does this comp have enough power to realistically fill AL80's ok?

4.2 scfm** * Fills an 80cft tank in approx 20 min*
• Truly portable at only 85 lbs (38 kg)
• Dimensions: Length 28" x Depth 13" x Height 15"
• Mounted on a durable powder coated steel frame with convenient carry handles.
• Reliable 5.5hp Honda® gasoline engine or electric motor.
• Oil/water separating chambers (manual drains)
• Tri-chem breathing air purification system with activated carbon/molecular sieve/hopcalite.
• Disposable purification cartridge is convenient and easy to replace.
• Pressure maintaining valve for optimum air processing.
• Final pressure relief valve.
• Digital hour/tachometer standard on gasoline model only.
• Intake filter.
• Oil filled pressure gauge 0 5800psi/400bar.
• Filling hose with on/off valve*push button bleed (SCUBA yoke or DIN300)
• 12 oz. Max-Air 101 synthetic compressor oil.
• 12 oz. break-in oil.
Take a look at http://www.airetex.com/ I bought the W31 model and a 444 cuft bottle to go with it. That package was over your $3k limit but the compressor was just below $3K with the Honda engine.

> Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you're going to get one for "home" use and not transport anywhere, then consider an electric one. (like 220v 30-50amp). This way you won't have to worry about gasoline fumes and exhaust fumes being sucked into the intake of your air compressor.

jbd has a good idea with the storage bottle. I've heard the less you cycle (on/off) your compressor, then better it is for the life of it.

I'll second the vote for an electric model. 220V is more efficient that 110V if you have a choice and a 220V circuit available.

I'll also second the idea of adding an air bank or cascade system. You can add tanks one at a time as money and/or good deals come your way and it will make filling a much less time consuming process if you can fill one, two or more tanks out of the bank and then let the compressor chug away to refill the air bank while you do something else.

Also consider a good used/rebuilt compressor. Compressors are a lot like cars with the initial owner eating a lot of depreciation. You can usually find a larger used compressor (maybe 7.0 cfm) in great mechanical condition for the same or even less money than you can buy a new 3.5-4.2 cfm compressor. Given that the larger compressor will run only half as much, maintainence will end up being significantly cheaper.

DA Aquamaster:
I'll second the vote for an electric model. 220V is more efficient that 110V if you have a choice and a 220V circuit available.

I'll also second the idea of adding an air bank or cascade system. You can add tanks one at a time as money and/or good deals come your way and it will make filling a much less time consuming process if you can fill one, two or more tanks out of the bank and then let the compressor chug away to refill the air bank while you do something else.

Also consider a good used/rebuilt compressor. Compressors are a lot like cars with the initial owner eating a lot of depreciation. You can usually find a larger used compressor (maybe 7.0 cfm) in great mechanical condition for the same or even less money than you can buy a new 3.5-4.2 cfm compressor. Given that the larger compressor will run only half as much, maintainence will end up being significantly cheaper.

I would check with all your local fire departments they are all getting gov. grants for new compressors and cascade systems that will pump up to 6000 psi.
I bought this unit this year for $700.00 it is a Mako 7cfm and had to do nothing to it but change out the 3 phase motor, runs great.
Ed

Go with the Alkin. It runs slower to pump more air then the max air... Also, I don't think the Max Air will fill a bank. The Alkin is rated continous duty. Also, Airtex is a great company to deal with.

Mverick:
Go with the Alkin. It runs slower to pump more air then the max air... Also, I don't think the Max Air will fill a bank. The Alkin is rated continous duty. Also, Airtex is a great company to deal with.

I think this is key if you are thinking about a bank tank system. Is the unit rated for continuous use or not. If no (the case with many smaller units) then it is only appropriate for filling scuba-sized tanks...one at a time.

Scoob - why are you thinking about buying a compressor? "Low cost" and "compressor" are two mutually exclusive words.
If you remotely live near a dive shop, it's light-years easier to have them do the fills.
I ouwld consider a compressor for the following reasons:
You have extra money to burn - and remember, you still have to religiously maintain any compressor.
There is no dive shop near you.
The ones that are near you are run by total idiots.
You can't get nitrox.
You can't get trimix.
Drop some bucks and buy Vance Harlow's "The Oxygen Hacker's Handbook". You'll get a feel for compressor ownership.
http://www.airspeedpress.com/
Is your wife in on this decision? She's not going to hit the fan when you're out in the garage for hours pumping tanks?
When ya gotta have your own compressor, well, it's one of those intangible aspects of human behavior. Good luck with that if you do buy one. Those small portables are cute and liftable, but they take a loooong time to fill a tank. Get yourself well-versed in all the aspects of compressor ownership before you make any commitment.
This is one of those things that you cannot afford to buy twice, like getting the wrong mask or booties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom