looking at getting a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix09

Registered
Reaction score
Is is better to get a custom suit made or have an off-the-rack one altered if regular sizes don't fit? I'm looking at getting a 3/2 fullsuit, since all I have right now is a 7mm farmer john/jacket. It's nice when you're in, oh, 60 degree water, but most of the time it's a pain to put on and take off, and I don't need quite that much neoprene.

Is there a big price difference between a custom-made and altering a premade suit? What about time required - does one take significantly longer than the other? What's your opinion?

If regular sizes do not fit then a custom suit is just the ticket. Cost will be even to perhaps 25% extra depending on what you are comparing to.

Well it surely takes longer than buying off the rack. With custom suits in the 2-4 week range it can be on par with the time some shops take to get factory stock.

For your safety, comfort and overall investment in diving the time and cost differences are trivial. A correctly sized suit, including 7mm should not be a challenge to don & doff.

A Henderson Hyperstretch will surely be posted as a suggestion. IMO it's a second grade solution, you can't stretch a suit significanty without reducing thickness and inducing seam stress. Also any material that compliant will compress excessively with depth providing less thermal protection. Many are happy with the suits and many recognize the limitiations. You will pay a premium price for the hyperstretch so just get a custom that fits in the first place.

That's the way I see it. Our household is half cutom and half off the rack so I've seen both sides.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom