Looking at a Dry-suit (DUI vs USIA)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The USIA suit is sold to different brands and sells under different brand names. Some companies call is Scout some call it something else but I have seen the same suit being sold all over. Now that you mentioned the HOG suits looks very similar to my USIA so I would not be surprised if they are re-branding it and selling it as that too.

It looks like I am going with the USIA Deluxe. I guess my only questions are:

1) Can my scuba pro twin-jet large fins fit a hard sole boot
2) Should I get a p-valve (only $113 more)
3) What color should I get? Thinking yellow w/ black or black w/ yellow

It looks like I am going with the USIA Deluxe. I guess my only questions are:

3) What color should I get? Thinking yellow w/ black or black w/ yellow

LOL. Oh my, I am crying now and I have warm tea all over my keyboard!

This thread has brightened up my day... been down thinking about poor Larry Green and I have a smile on my face now. Bloody brilliant... what color. Indeed?

Well My SP jets did not fit the boot very well. I had to wrestle a lot to slide the boot into them. Then I purchased a paid of Hollis F1 fins for drysuit use and my life has become some much easier. I do not have a p-valve because it solves a problem that has one in a million chance of happening. I have never had to hold my pee (and you may interpret it in anyway you like :) ) Color? I have yellow because I wanted one with good surface visability. Red and Yellow were what I was looking at. I was told that yellow will get stained easily and I see that happening. I do not however see it happening to the point where it wont remain yellow anymore. Black is black and will look like it is after 100 dives. Other colors may not look new after sometime but during a drift dive I am usually the first one to get picked up by the boat because my bright yellow stands out so much more.

I went ahead and ordered the Deluxe. I got all Black w/ yellow accents on the arms, thighs and zipper. I didn't go for yellow legs as it would have been to much IMHO. I went with the P-valve, just in case I go out on a long boat ride and there is no head, it was only $100. I also decided on the hard-sole shoes. It is going to set me back about a total of $1250 including DS cert and taxes. I am excited about getting all this for so little. I wonder why people pay so much for DUI, when I see USIA has great reviews.

One reason I went with yellow as I am diving in darker waters and would prefer being seen by my dive buddy.

Well My SP jets did not fit the boot very well. I had to wrestle a lot to slide the boot into them. Then I purchased a paid of Hollis F1 fins for drysuit use and my life has become some much easier. I do not have a p-valve because it solves a problem that has one in a million chance of happening. I have never had to hold my pee (and you may interpret it in anyway you like :) ) Color? I have yellow because I wanted one with good surface visability. Red and Yellow were what I was looking at. I was told that yellow will get stained easily and I see that happening. I do not however see it happening to the point where it wont remain yellow anymore. Black is black and will look like it is after 100 dives. Other colors may not look new after sometime but during a drift dive I am usually the first one to get picked up by the boat because my bright yellow stands out so much more.

the black won't look the same after 100 dives, it will fade as it does on all drysuits.

Re pricing.... every suit has its "features", its about what you are willing to trade off for. My pinnacle evolution 3 is really heavy duty compared to me buddy's TLS350, but his costs more. I think its all relative, I dove with a buddy with a fusion, I was really impressed with the mobility of the DS, but I'm not able to pay that pricing. On top of that to fit my shoulder/chest I need something that will have REALLY long legs. I found that the pinnacle suits had a size to fit me "off the rack" so to speak. I'd still love to try a fusion.

... I wonder why people pay so much for DUI, when I see USIA has great reviews.

I believe it's called marketing
dozingoff.gif

Enjoy your new USIA suit !

Good choice! I paid 650 for my Bi lam suit and it works the way a drysuit is supposed to work. DRY! After that what would I pay for if it was any of the brand names? I dont really know because I have not dove many suits. Ya marketing and brand perception has a lot to do with it.

P-Valves only add value for long duration dives (90min plus), or those with weak bladder control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom