Looking at a Dry-suit (DUI vs USIA)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like I am going with the USIA Deluxe. I guess my only questions are:

1) Can my scuba pro twin-jet large fins fit a hard sole boot
2) Should I get a p-valve (only $113 more)
3) What color should I get? Thinking yellow w/ black or black w/ yellow

I have 135 dives on my USIA, just had wrist seals replaced last summer. U can see I am wearing it in my avatar. I have the SP twin jet max fins with springstraps, no problems getting them on over the boots. I also needed one of the suspenders reglued as it was coming loose, so my LDS did that for me. I take very good care of it, no signs of giving up. I am now focusing my research on undergarments for my water conditions which are 35-60F. The undergarment that came with my suit is insufficient. One of the other posters on SB has been very helpful on that issue.

I asked USIA why they don't advertise and they replied that they have enough business without advertising and they also have military (etc) contracts.

For every diver there is an opinion, and that is one more reason I enjoy this forum and learn so much! Enjoy!

Last edited:
I got my suit in last week it looks great! It was under $1200 including taxes, training and p-valve. It is remarkable what I got for a fraction of what other cost. It is even custom fit to me. I ended up getting the Deluxe w/ latex seals and hardsole boots. The boots fit my fins, so I am happy with that. I think I will have to trim the neck seal as it is a little tight.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and help!

IMG_2176.jpg

When you say including training, do you mean it included a dry suit certification class (such as PADI)?

With or without the training, its a great deal. Even better deal if it keeps you dry :)

Yes padi cert, dvd, book, and classes. The guys I go with charge $50/class and $25 for the card. There are 2 classes for drysuit so $125.

I really pitty people for paying the extra grand or two for DUI.

Grand or two more for DUI? I got my entire custom cut DUI TLS-350 for a *total* of about two grand . . . so unless yours was free, that's just not right . . .

- Tim

Sweet. What garments are you using? I may have missed that on my phone.

Sent from my DROID X2

The custom suit cost $900 before taxes, pvalve, shipping, and lessons. Seeing how expensive some of the DUI suits list on their website, the TLS-350 lists from $1300 to $2898, which is within the range that I stated. The deluxe, which is what I got, is not a lower end model either. Their suits start at around $600. I think their highest end models start around $1200-1300.

I have yet to get any undergarments. I am looking at using what I use for cross country skiing (no cotton) and maybe getting some thicker fleace. That should be fine for right now as I don't plan on doing really deep and long dives. I will also be diving in 40+ water.

But only an idiot pays list . . . street prices are the only valid comparison, and the gap between list and street on DUI appears to be much higher than for some of the others. List is meaningless, in any other words . . . .

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom