Looking at a couple of different regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chidiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at a mares carbon 52 or a scuba pro carbon black for my first personally owned regulator.

I typically rent when I dive, but am finally taking the plunge to my own.

Who has used the mares carbon? I'm looking at the 52x, I don't see it on the site currently, but there seems to be plenty of nib out there.

I like the idea of the light weight and mares are usually solid regulators.

The scuba pro a700 black tech appeals for the same reason.

Fyi, I am considering taking an ice dive class and trying it out. It's pretty cold where I live so I typically dive elsewhere.

Anyone who has these two feel free to chime in. One of the other things about the mares regulator is if something was to go wrong on a trip I would imagine a lot of shops would be able to service/repair it.

I am familiar that regulators need regular maintenance, but that doesn't mean something couldn't pop up on a trip.

To add one more iceI been reading on here about those atomic Ti regulators too and they have my eye as well.

If you post a reply and make a suggestion please tell me specifically why.

I see a lot of people on here are very big fans of certain brands, I'm not wanting a fan club answer, but genuine reasons for your suggestion.

Thank you very much ladies and gents, for any and all information.

Let me see if I’ve read your post correctly. You’re thinking of taking an ice diving class to test out a reg? Do you have any cold(er) water experience?

The deep side at Haigh Quarry is currently 43F at 45ft (the Flamingo boat). It should be colder at the bottom of the hole (85ft). I’ve been at Haigh the past three weekends. The quarry is cold enough right now to test cold(er) water gear.

Please don't take my answer as gospel, as there are a bunch of people on this board that are smarter then me when it comes to regulators...

I really like my MK25/ A700 ScubaPro set up. With that, if you're serious about ice diving maybe look for a MK17 first stage...

I bought my setup used, so I avoided the sticker shock of the MSRP, if I ever sell it I won't take much of a hit... the original owner who bought it new took a beating on depreciation...

Reasons I opted for these regs...

All metal A700 second, greatly reduced (actually eliminated) 'cotton mouth' for me. There are limited number of current model seconds that are all metal (but several vintage models, that are very high quality, and still serviceable).

The A700 in chrome looks pretty... sad I know, but this is something I like...

Broad, international support... SP might have one of, if not the best, international support systems.

The MK25 is a turret design regulator delivers air like a dream (99% of the regs on the market now deliver ample air, so that's not a huge selling point compared to it's competition)...

The knocks on SP are their difficulty to 'self-service'... for me this isn't an issue. I don't want to service my own regs. I already fix my house, my cars, small appliances, and work a full time job. I don't need another 'job'. I send my regs out to AirTech, and they do a great job on them.
People also say how they're expensive... they are. However, if you find a good deal on a used set, factor a service into the price you pay (roughly $100-$150). You can still save hundreds of dollars, and those 'top of the line' regulators become obtainable.

Happy shopping!! Oh, and @Blacktip Scuba had a nice Carbon Fiber MK17/ A700 combo for sale the other day.... :)

Wow... just went to Leisure Pro... the SP MK25/A700 in Carbon black is $1,300+... that truly is crazy.

The Chrome A700/MK25 or MK17 is $850-$1,000.

I'm sorry, but there's no way I'd buy them new... if you go with SP regulators, the MK25/A700 in chrome trades for about $400 (or a little more) used... buy used, have them serviced, and enjoy your 'as good as new' regulators!

Wow... just went to Leisure Pro... the SP MK25/A700 in Carbon black is $1,300+... that truly is crazy.

The Chrome A700/MK25 or MK17 is $850-$1,000.

I'm sorry, but there's no way I'd buy them new... if you go with SP regulators, the MK25/A700 in chrome trades for about $400 (or a little more) used... buy used, have them serviced, and enjoy your 'as good as new' regulators!
Carbon is oh so pretty.

To each their own... if they were equally priced I'd still go chrome...
They should be the same price. A little carbon front cover doesn’t jack the price up that much. That’s just SP being SP

Let me see if I’ve read your post correctly. You’re thinking of taking an ice diving class to test out a reg? Do you have any cold(er) water experience?

The deep side at Haigh Quarry is currently 43F at 45ft (the Flamingo boat). It should be colder at the bottom of the hole (85ft). I’ve been at Haigh the past three weekends. The quarry is cold enough right now to test cold(er) water gear.

No, not to test gear. I threw that in there as I know some regulators are better for ice diving than others.

They should be the same price. A little carbon front cover doesn’t jack the price up that much. That’s just SP being SP

That type of thing irritates me, I didn't price it for the regular finish yet. If it's a ton more money I might just choose Mares or atomic or something else on general principal.

Back
Top Bottom