Longhose, flex or standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nibl

Registered
Reaction score
What is better for sidemount, a standard rubber hose or flex hose (eg. miflex, metalsub etc.)?

You can use either as it's getting stuffed.
I prefer the rubber because the braided hoses have had far more issues the past ~4 yrs and dont last very long.

I have both and prefer the rubber hose for only one reason. It stays close to your neck all the time.

I am generally a fan of flex hoses. However I don't use it for the long hose. When I was taking cave classes, I quickly discovered that a flex hose will easily kink near the first stage enough to cut off air supply to the second stage. It's something that's easy to test on land. Pressurize a regulator with a miflex hose, then kink it with your hands. It's not difficult to cut off the air supply.

I still use miflex hoses for my single tank recreational diving. The situation that caused an easy kink is very unlikely in this configuration. For the long hose, miflex is not a good idea.

Edit: I forgot to say, the situation where the miflex hose would easily kink was during air sharing when single file in a cave. If you were in open water, it might be less of an issue.

Hey, I've got a 7' miflex hose that I'll sell for cheap :wink:.

I'm still using the same 7' rubber hose with bolt-snap tied on by Bob Sherwood in 2008............Must be the Magical String.

[OOPS, not side mount]

Rubber for the long hose. I tried a braided long hose, but it wouldn't lay flat.

Rubber as well.
The other one is too floaty and doesn’t stay nicely on your neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom