Longhose, flex or standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubber. Too many instances of braided kinking or degrading inside and cutting off the air supply. Some tech instructors don't allow braided hoses in class. Especially on the long hose. They are also not friendly to latex drysuit seals or the little hairs on the back of your neck. They are floaty, will take a set and stay kinked if stored coiled, and they cost more with no added real benefit other than being a few ounces lighter.

In my opinion flex hoses don't rout well and are uncomfortable against any bare skin.

Rubber. Too many instances of braided kinking or degrading inside and cutting off the air supply. Some tech instructors don't allow braided hoses in class. Especially on the long hose. They are also not friendly to latex drysuit seals or the little hairs on the back of your neck. They are floaty, will take a set and stay kinked if stored coiled, and they cost more with no added real benefit other than being a few ounces lighter.

These posts pretty well sum it up.

I used a Miflex long hose on a week long pretty fish trip where I wore a shorty and no hood. By day 3 my neck was rubbed raw. Miflex hoses and other braded nylon hoses are not much kinder to neck seals either.

Braided hoses also have much more torsional rigidity than rubber hoses. consequently they like to twist and won't route or lay down as nicely as a rubber hose.

In the past I'd have said braided hoses don't last as long as rubber hoses. Now, they do seem to be getting better, while rubber hose quality seems to be sliding so there's less difference.

I have had issues with Miflex hoses kinking on my rebreather, and the same potential exists on a long hose during an air share in a restriction.

The only real advantage is lighter weight for traveling, which is why I tried them on a recreational trip - and given the nck issues, I'll never do that again

I use flex hose because they are much lighter for travelling and I can get both my sidemount sets in 1 small reg bag and my 2 deco sets in the other.
Never had a problem with kinking, but yes, they can be quite sharp on the neck.
I use a right angle adaptor on my second stages which helps a lot with routing.

Rubber is the way to go

Beware, these are easy to kink
Well, damn it! I just ordered one of these last month!

Can you recommend a particular hose? I am really striking out here. I bought one of those last month to convert to a long hose setup. But then just last week I went and bought some nylon hoses based on recommendations by others. So, now I have four hoses that either kink or float or rub my neck raw or rub holes in my wetsuit or drysuit! :banghead::D

So, now I have four hoses that either kink or float or rub my neck raw or rub holes in my wetsuit or drysuit! :banghead::D

You left out "try to sneak up on you at night while you are sleeping so they can strangle you before they light your house on fire."

Well, damn it! I just ordered one of these last month!

Can you recommend a particular hose? I am really striking out here. I bought one of those last month to convert to a long hose setup. But then just last week I went and bought some nylon hoses based on recommendations by others. So, now I have four hoses that either kink or float or rub my neck raw or rub holes in my wetsuit or drysuit! :banghead::D
I just use conventional rubber 7ft hoses

I've been using the same 7' rubber hose for 10 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom