Longer hose on Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a SP Mk18/G250 HP and a Knighthawk with the Air2
I want to put a longer hose on my primary to help facilitate sharing air (It's just barely long enough to get the job done now) and I have a choice of 6" longer (don't think that will make a lot of improvement) or at least a foot longer hose. I am leaning towards the longest one but I want to know if there are issues that I have not thought of
Can you see any drawback to having the longer hose ?

DB

How you gonna hold it in place?

Most open water recreational folks who want a longer hose tend to use a 5' hose run under their right arms, up across their chest, around the back of their necks, and into their mouth. Whether they use wings or jacket-style BC, their right arms hold the hose in place.

The reason for a 7' hose is so that two divers may swim in single file through a restriction that will not allow them to pass through side by side. The OOA diver proceeds first, the donor diver follows close behind.

If you are neither (a) performing diving in overhead environments or (b) passing through restrictions, as a recreational diver you'd need to answer why you needed a 7' hose, particularly considering that if you're wearing a BC there is no light cannister on your right side to secure said hose. (And as they float, they tend to get loose and annoy you throughout your dive if they're not secured in some manner.)

Use whatever you need. But if you're in a rec rig, consider using a 5' hose run beneath your right arm.

FWIW. YMMV.

Thank you , but not a 6 foot or 7 foot hose ... A 6" longer than stock or 12" longer than stock hose , sorry about the confusion

DB

As for drawbacks....you'll have a huge loop of hose out to your right side, the more you add the bigger the loop gets. Have you thought about getting a normal backup reg and putting it on a longish hose, with your primary still on your current shorter hose?

As I have my octo bungeed on my neck, my primary is really my "octo", it's what will be donated. I replaced the hose with a longer yum-yum yellow hose. Yellow to draw attention to that being the reg for a diver to go after. The octo has a std length black hose. The primary now has a 40 inch hose, compared to the 27 inch hose on the octo.

I have not found this length to pose any problems for me for open water diving.

I have thought about getting a octo but am not going that route at this time

"... huge loop of hose out to your right side ..." Ahh , how huge could it be with just a 6 inch or 12 inch longer hose than the one it came with ??? (stock is 32 or so inches)

DB

D_B:

"... huge loop of hose out to your right side ..." Ahh , how huge could it be with just a 6 inch or 12 inch longer hose than the one it came with ??? (stock is 32 or so inches)

DB

If you don't have an octo, do you have an Air2?

D_B:
I have a SP Mk18/G250 HP and a Knighthawk with the Air2
I want to put a longer hose on my primary to help facilitate sharing air (It's just barely long enough to get the job done now) and I have a choice of 6" longer (don't think that will make a lot of improvement) or at least a foot longer hose. I am leaning towards the longest one but I want to know if there are issues that I have not thought of
Can you see any drawback to having the longer hose ?

DB
yes

D_B:

DB
3-6 inches larger to be specific

OK , thanks , I think I'll go with the 12" longer hose , seeing how I don't plan on any cave or wreck diving anytime soon , and besides , I will have to totaly change my configuration before I do anyway

DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom