Long-term Mask Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbkk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The mask that I enjoyed the most was a Mares Prima that I used in the 80s. Eventually it wore out and I bought a new mask. But I was never has happy as with that Prima.

So, when I learned that the Prima design was passed to Sporasub and became the Spartak and that the Australian distributor had two left in stock, I bought them both, sight unseen.

They are exactly the same as I remember the old Mares Prima. Fit like a glove. Very low volume. Light as a feather. I am looking forward to getting one of them underwater next weekend.

The second one, I want to keep for a few years until the first one wears out, breaks, disappears or hardens.

Does anyone have any recommendations for long term storage? Should I keep it in a dry, dark environment? Or a moist, warm environment. Or freeze it? Should I coat it in a layer of silicone grease, powder or something else?

How do I make sure that the second mask is still good in a few years time?

Regards
Peter

Good question , I would like to hear the answer too
I would guess that a sealed container, in dark, would be best ... also, could ask a mask manufacturer as well

DB

D_B:
Good question , I would like to hear the answer too
I would guess that a sealed container, in dark, would be best ... also, could ask a mask manufacturer as well

DB

I know how you feel. I feel the same way about my Mares Lirica. Best fitting mask I've found. I should buy up a few.

I'd like to hear what a mask manufacturer had to say too. Storing it in the dark in a seal container sounds good to me too. I would say also not to clean it, silicones and phthalates on the mask surfaces might help to keep the silicone supple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom