Long term dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be traveling around SE Asia starting in 2 weeks. During this time ill take my DMT. I plan on doing quite a bit of diving so I'm going to get insurance. I've looked at DAN, DiveAssure, Dive Masters Insurance and Security National Insurance. It seems that DAN and DiveAssure only offer multi trip coverage, something like 45 days max per trip. Am I missing something? Is the only option for someone who travels around from country to country diving all year(instructor) to go with Dive Masters Insurance? Am I even able to since I'm a US citizen? Do dive pros have different insurance options that cover them yearly in multiple locals for long term?

As I said I'll be taking my DMT along the way (1 - 3 months from now) and would like to work with a shop. Do I need to get additional insurance for that? With I be paying extra until my initial insurance runs out or can you 'upgrade'?

As I said I've looked into this a little, but because I'm currently living in South Korea my time zone doesn't allow for a lot of time to reach these companies via phone so I'm hoping to find some answers here.

I should also mention that I'm a USA citizen and that I'll be leaving South Korea in 2 weeks so I won't have a current address when taking out this insurance. My permanent address is in the States though. Also, I'm looking for an annual plan.

Any suggestions, recommendations or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 03:31 PM ----------

I'm sorry this posted twice. I'm doing this from a broken iPod with spotty Internet because my computer recently crashed. This one can be deleted by moderator.

If I understand correctly, you are still eligible for coverage from the US.

DAN's dive insurance is annual.

DAN also offers an annual Trip Insurance plan as well.

You can purchase all of DAN's insurance products on-line. They even send a "card" via email that you can print and use since you will be having "issues" with an address for the foreseeable future.

If I understand correctly, you are still eligible for coverage from the US.

DAN's dive insurance is annual.

DAN also offers an annual Trip Insurance plan as well.

You can purchase all of DAN's insurance products on-line. They even send a "card" via email that you can print and use since you will be having "issues" with an address for the foreseeable future.

Hello Hawkwood, thanks for commenting.

I'm wondering though, will I qualify for their US coverage if I'm spending months, possibly the entire year, of the coverage outside of the US when I didn't even start my coverage from within the US (i.e. I wouldn't be able to show that I left the US with a plane ticket if I had to prove that for insurance reasons if anything were to happen)?

i know this is all technical and the best way to find out is to speak with DAN directly, which I will as soon as I can, but because we're on different time zones I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

I'm a little confused. Just to be clear, are you looking for medical insurance for your travels or professional liability insurance for your DM/teaching?

I'm a little confused. Just to be clear, are you looking for medical insurance for your travels or professional liability insurance for your DM/teaching?

Very good point, and I missed that.

The professional liability insurance (if required) depends on the agency and (in the case of PADI) would be region specific.

I'm looking at accident insurance. If I remember correctly, the medical insurance coupled with accident insurance wasn't that great. I haven't taken out medical yet, so I could still couple it. I don't need property insurance - going with a different company.

As far as DM insurance. I'm wondering if once I finish my DM if I could simply 'upgrade' from the one I'm using to a professional type insurance or if I'll have to take out a different policy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom